[SOLVED] Weird lag or something

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
So, this problem started happening recently, ive never seen this.
so when this thing happend i tried reinstalling my drivers, nothing happend, still had the same problem, then i thought i could reset my pc, i booted up a fresh version of windows, downloaded apex legends, and there it was, the problem still happend, i installed crysis 2, the problem was still there, and the same for csgo, i have a i5 4400 with a gtx 1070 yea i know its a bottleneck but thats not the point, the point is i think there is something wrong with my graphics card, i wanted change my cards bios, but i thought about posting this here so i can maybe get a couple of ideas from people
here are links to 2 youtube videos of the problem i have, i posted them on yt didnt know where else should i do it, thats not the point though, this weird lag or rubber banding or whatever it is, i need a fix for it so if someone can please help me i would really appreciate that
crysis
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDtrURrRV0

csgo
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PeKkVVemrA

Solution
You could try removing your non-OS disk(the one without Windows).

Did this problem start after any particular event? Or was it just there one day, or did it start happening while playing?

For monitoring your disk usage during a game session you can use Windows Resource monitor, under the disk tab. Excessive disk handles can cause stuttering and freezes, yours just feel too smooth to be a disk issue, but let's check anyways.

Do you have CPU-Z? If not, get it and select the tab "Bench", the run the benchmark.
Does the score fluctuate wildly? Mine runs with +/-10 to on the multi thread and +/-3 on single thread scores after starting it.

Next thing is running Intel's own processor/igpu diagnostic tool.(Direct download link)
It's a...

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Do you have MSI Afterburner? HWInfo64? This almost looks like thermal throttling.

Look for fluctuating frequencies and temperatures above 80°C, especially on your GPU.

What does your power settings look like?

Also, I'm headed to work - hopefully someone else can throw in a few more ideas.

Also, before any else asks you to; please, in detail list your system specifications, including Power supply.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Do you have MSI Afterburner? HWInfo64? This almost looks like thermal throttling.

Look for fluctuating frequencies and temperatures above 80°C, especially on your GPU.

Also, I'm headed to work - hopefully someone else can throw in a few more ideas.

Also, before any else asks you to; please, in detail list your system specifications, including Power supply.
I have some work to do right now too, so im gonna gave to check on that in a few hours, honestly it just might be thermal throttling because my case doesnt have that much airflow and i havent cleaned in like 5 months, thx for the reply though ill send the details later

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018

Ok so i checked msi after burner View: https://imgur.com/Ew9UoHJ
, the temps look fine to me ive seen them even worse, i opened my pc though and cleaned it out a bit, this still happens, also i think youre talking about the power settings in control panel, they are set to balanced
CPU: View: https://imgur.com/alsjEiY

MB: View: https://imgur.com/lg1sCbV

GPU: View: https://imgur.com/ZTxiAuD

RAM: View: https://imgur.com/89VG0YH
(there are 2 sticks i bought separately, one is black one is white but ive never had problems with them)
PSU: its a corsair cx550m
storage: so ive got a 120gb kingston ssd, and a 1tb wd blue hdd
and the case is an old case without much airflow
let me know if you need any more information i would happily provide that, appreciate all the help and suggestions i can get!

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Could you add you CPU temp into the mix on Rivatuner/MSI afterburner while playing? Including GHz.

If you play in windowed mode(640x480 or something and have HWinfo64 open, anything stand out?
Temperatures, frequencies, HDD/SSD read/writes.

On phone atm.

Last edited:

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Could you add you CPU temp into the mix on Rivatuner/MSI afterburner while playing? Including GHz.

If you play in windowed mode(640x480 or something and have HWinfo64 open, anything stand out?
Temperatures, frequencies, HDD/SSD read/writes.

On phone atm.
Honestly nothing to catch my eye, i might be wrong but gpu seems fine View: https://imgur.com/a9Xvpum

and heres the cpu one View: https://imgur.com/rUu4m3K
hope i showed the right stuff, i really dont understand whats the problem, i flashed my gpus bios and nothing really changed, i got a driver update right after i flashed my bios and tried to play, the problem was gone for like 2 minutes and then it came right back again, im really out of options in my opinion, i dont know what else to do, temps seem fine, clocks seem fine, doubt there is anything on my pc that causes this problem since i installed a fresh version of windows on it, maybe the bios of the motherboard is corrupted or something, i really dont know :/

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Honestly nothing to catch my eye, i might be wrong but gpu seems fine View: https://imgur.com/a9Xvpum

and heres the cpu one View: https://imgur.com/rUu4m3K
hope i showed the right stuff, i really dont understand whats the problem, i flashed my gpus bios and nothing really changed, i got a driver update right after i flashed my bios and tried to play, the problem was gone for like 2 minutes and then it came right back again, im really out of options in my opinion, i dont know what else to do, temps seem fine, clocks seem fine, doubt there is anything on my pc that causes this problem since i installed a fresh version of windows on it, maybe the bios of the motherboard is corrupted or something, i really dont know :/
Also not sure if it helps but chrome stopped working, when i open it, it just opens a black screen, i can still open stuff in it, i just dont see anything, its just black

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Remove your GPU. Use the integrated graphics, does the same thing happen?
Next thing to try is start yanking out RAM see if anything there is being the culprit. Try each stick solo.

Trust me, my gears are grinding. xD

Also, again in windowed, take a screenshot of these values while playing:

So here are the pictures you requested View: https://imgur.com/a/AWcP6v5

View: https://imgur.com/a/rn8m1E1
, also i removed each ram stick and tested them individually, nothing happend, i took out my gpu and used the integrated one and it is pretty laggy, but the problem is not happening anymore, its not doing that weird teleporting lag anymore, it is low fps though, and now i put the graphics card back in and its doing the same weird lag thing, so i assume the graphics card is the problem here or something, any ideas?

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Yea, just give me second to stop giggling at seeing HWinfo64 actually being an idiot for once. xD

I think we can, within good reason, conclude that your graphics card is the culprit.
Do you have any friends or a local IT/PC shop you can hop down to and ask to test your GPU? Perhaps even grab your case and you can test one of theirs.
I'm pretty lucky that I have a good shop next to me, not everyone is that lucky though.
I'd still suggest getting an opportunity to test another card or have your card tested, BEFORE you spend any money.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Yea, just give me second to stop giggling at seeing HWinfo64 actually being an idiot for once. xD

I think we can, within good reason, conclude that your graphics card is the culprit.
Do you have any friends or a local IT/PC shop you can hop down to and ask to test your GPU? Perhaps even grab your case and you can test one of theirs.
I'm pretty lucky that I have a good shop next to me, not everyone is that lucky though.
I'd still suggest getting an opportunity to test another card or have your card tested, BEFORE you spend any money.
Well yea, i can test it at a friend, cant do it right now because its 11 pm my time but ill do it tomorrow, and can i ask you if there is something i can do to maybe fix it, like lets say i go and test it at my friend and say it works perfectly without any problem, what do i do then, and lets also say i go test it and the same problem happens, do i take it to a shop? Do i buy another one i honestly wanted not to spend money on another gpu, i wanted to upgrade my cpu since its a pretty big bottleneck:(

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
To be honest, if it's not your graphics card, I'm pretty stumped as to what it could be.
Nothing seems out order. You yanked the RAM and tested them.
The only other things I would try is taking everything apart and then putting it back together carefully.
Do you use any programs to control your GPU, like MSI Afterburner or the like?

I'm not qualified nor do I have the expertise to judge whether or not your GFX card can be fixed, but I do notice that it isn't failing catastrophically, if it is EVEN failing.

First, let's see what the results are going be at your friends or a shop.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
To be honest, if it's not your graphics card, I'm pretty stumped as to what it could be.
Nothing seems out order. You yanked the RAM and tested them.
The only other things I would try is taking everything apart and then putting it back together carefully.
Do you use any programs to control your GPU, like MSI Afterburner or the like?

I'm not qualified nor do I have the expertise to judge whether or not your GFX card can be fixed, but I do notice that it isn't failing catastrophically, if it is EVEN failing.

First, let's see what the results are going be at your friends or a shop.
I did use msi afterburner but when it happend i didnt even have it installed on my pc, honestly ill just go test it at one of my friends place and see whats the deal , if the problem is the same which wil probably be the case, ill take it to a shop , hopefully i dont have to buy a new graphics card

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Post your findings here. If you need further help, just write in the thread as per usual.

Sleep well o/.
Hello again,
Post your findings here. If you need further help, just write in the thread as per usual.

Sleep well o/.
Hello again, so it seems like my graphics card is fine :/ i didnt test it at a friend because when i got there his pc didnt have a pci e cable so i couldnt do it, but when i came back home i decided to try a few games again with my integrated graphics and the problem is still there, last time i guess i couldnt tell because i was playing crysis and the fps was low, but it seems like theres something else causing this problem, and i do not know why, any ideas on what should i remove or change and maybe test it like that? could it be my cpu or my ssd, not sure

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished

Did this problem start after any particular event? Or was it just there one day, or did it start happening while playing?

For monitoring your disk usage during a game session you can use Windows Resource monitor, under the disk tab. Excessive disk handles can cause stuttering and freezes, yours just feel too smooth to be a disk issue, but let's check anyways.

Do you have CPU-Z? If not, get it and select the tab "Bench", the run the benchmark.
Does the score fluctuate wildly? Mine runs with +/-10 to on the multi thread and +/-3 on single thread scores after starting it.

Next thing is running Intel's own processor/igpu diagnostic tool.(Direct download link)
It's a pretty basic tool, but if there is an issue it may show up here.
READ THIS BEFORE CONTINUING: Open HWinfo64 before opening the diagnostic tool, keep your eyes on the temperatures on your cores and package.
If at anytime your temperatures exceed 90°C, stop the test.
You CPU's max temp is probably like mine, at around 75°C, but for a short duration, you're fine.

If none of these show anything worth noting, I am no longer able so assist you, and your next course of action should be to have your motherboard and CPU tested, separately.
Perhaps even have another PSU tested on your setup.

Solution

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018

It's a pretty basic tool, but if there is an issue it may show up here.
READ THIS BEFORE CONTINUING: Open HWinfo64 before opening the diagnostic tool, keep your eyes on the temperatures on your cores and package.
If at anytime your temperatures exceed 90°C, stop the test.
You CPU's max temp is probably like mine, at around 75°C, but for a short duration, you're fine.

If none of these show anything worth noting, I am no longer able so assist you, and your next course of action should be to have your motherboard and CPU tested, separately.
Perhaps even have another PSU tested on your setup.
So i think its way simpler than that, i just installed windows on my hdd, and it was 100% fine, buttery smooth gameplay, no lag, no problems, and i just installed it back on my ssd and it works fine aswell but im gonna buy another ssd just to be sure, ill see when i can get another one, probably an even bigger size because 120gb is really not a lot these days, ive had problems with this ssd before but i never thought this would cause my game to lag like that

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Don't worry about it, it's why we are here. xD
So just to let you know, it wasnt the ssd, nor the hdd, i tried to run both on my integrated and on my 1070 and it really does the same thing, it works sometimes, and im just confused by this, so it has to be the cpu or the motherboard, etiher way im gonna uprade soon to a ryzen so its all good

Reactions: FoxVoxDK