Weird lag/pauses in game after installing COOLER Master Hyper master 212 plus

clueless1126

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hey everyone recently installed this cooler on my motherboard (ECS P67-A2) with an intel 3570k, and mid game every once in a while I get this weird lag spike or pause for 2 or 3 seconds usually. Everything went well on the installation, I placed 3 lines l | l on the cooler and attatched it to my cpu. I haven't overclocked yet as I don't know how, but in CPU-Z my voltage usually hangs at around 0.91 area, although I think it goes quite a bit higher when I have the game up (it's minimized) my GPU temp hangs around 70-72*c when gaming so no problems there. Any info is helpful and will post more info as requested.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You don't say what your CPU temp is when you have the issues. But it would be highly unlikely that that cooler is the problem.
If this 2 or 3 second pause is only during online gaming, I would consider the internet or server connection.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
i would say that not enough thermal paste was used and or your cooler is not sitting or locked down correctly, I find 70-72*c a little high, mine is running at 38*c and under load (playing games) it goes to 48*c. I have an OCZ Vendetta II 92mm HSF and it is about the same as the 212.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That 70-72C temp he spoke of was his GPU, not his CPU. And 72C is very average for a GPU when gaming.

clueless1126

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Yea I did similar, My cooler didn't have any crevices to fill with thermal paste it was very flat and even. I also had 4 of those copper pieces, that's why I put 3 lines like that in between.

Ok I installed that program and my CPUs cores when under some load are usually in the 30's *C and when idle are usually 20-25*C

clueless1126

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
mhse9w.png

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Those temps are fine. But I'm not sure what you mean by "under some load". If those temps are during gaming, they are perfect. If you run a pgm like Prime95 or Intel Burn Test, it will stress you CPU at 100%. Taking a temp reading during a run of one of them would be the best way to determine if your cooler is doing its job. But I'm thinking all is well temp wise. Your lag issue is elsewhere.

No, TjMax is the max temp the CPU's sensor can read. Your processor cores shouldn't get above 70-72C.

clueless1126

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Thanks for your help, I wasn't sure how to read this program. Yea I had hammer editor open and some browser tabs open (hammer editor is a level designer for Source engine games) so it wasn't completely idle temps

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
my GPU when gaming is 48*c, it's around 35*c when idle, I am using the Asus CuCore 5770, standard GPU fan that came with it, maybe his video card is suppose to run that hot, but I find that still high for a GPU, I know mine was rated to run good till 85*c or that is the average, but I like things to stay cold, maybe the 4 case fans help. Heat is the enemy when gaming, I found that out with my 6800GT OC, man that ran 60*c+ all the time and when it let go, it took out the PSU. So I built this PC with cooling in mind.