Weird laptop FPS cap

reetk91

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
So basically, I start my laptop on battery, I go into a game, the FPS is locked at 60. If I plug it in, the frames will still remain locked.
I restart my laptop, plug it in, open the same game, now the FPS is not locked anymore, even if I unplug it.
Geforce Experience is not installed.
Does anyone have any clue about what could be happening?

Solution
V-Sync off (in-game and in control panel)
Windows is set on High Performance
Game DVR is off

I found that by disabling fullscreen optimizations in app's compatibility properties, the games are no longer capped.
But I don't see this as an actual solution, rather a clumsy workaround, considering that I have to do this for each and every app.
From what I can see, there's something holding up the laptop when it comes to power management. It's like there's a setting that resets every time you boot up and just waits to see if you plug in or laptop or if you leave it unplugged, making the FPS lock down.

R0GG

Distinguished
- Check Nvidia control panel each time for v-synchronization state (on or off)
- Check in-game V-synchronization (game settings)
- Check your laptop your CPU/GPU might be throttled by windows power configuration : in all three situations you mentioned check windows power scheme whether it is in high performance, balanced or power saver, install CPU-z to keep an eye on CPU frequency in each case.

reetk91

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
V-Sync off (in-game and in control panel)
Windows is set on High Performance
Game DVR is off

I found that by disabling fullscreen optimizations in app's compatibility properties, the games are no longer capped.
But I don't see this as an actual solution, rather a clumsy workaround, considering that I have to do this for each and every app.
From what I can see, there's something holding up the laptop when it comes to power management. It's like there's a setting that resets every time you boot up and just waits to see if you plug in or laptop or if you leave it unplugged, making the FPS lock down.

Solution

reetk91

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
The power configuration remained on high performance. I was talking about something deeper, maybe registry files or something that prevent games from running higher when unplugged.

R0GG

Distinguished
You already solved it by yourself by disabling windows 10 full screen optimization, that was definitely the issue, it optimizes performance to minimize power consumption, did you check whether it remains active when laptop is booted plugged in and able to achieve above 60 FPS ?
FPS Capped at 60 - Windows 10 Fullscreen Optimization >>the Xbox DVR application added a new "Fullscreen Optimization
To disable this feature, you can follow the steps on our support article here:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/92046
https://www.hearthpwn.com/blue-tracker/topic/18697-fps-capped-at-60-windows-10-fullscreen-optimization
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104080-enable-disable-fullscreen-optimizations-windows-10-a.html