Weird laptop issue

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017
Hi,

So I have a pretty old laptop (HP-Pavilion g6-2209ee). It had a problem that started long ago but I have never thought of asking here.

This is the problem:
The laptop doesn't work on battery. It needs to be connected to a power source all the time to work.

And that is not the weird thing. Here is the weird part:
When powering up the laptop, I have to do the following:
1. Turn on the charger
2. Connect the charger and wait for like 2 seconds.
3. After these 2 seconds, remove the charger from the laptop.
4. Connect the charger again.
5. Now I can power the laptop and use it normally (provided I don't unplug it as it will turn off).

I have tried to change the battery but with no solution.

Another strange point is, when I use the laptop, the battery icon in the taskbar always says this "63% available (plugged in, charging)" although the charge never increases nor decreases.

This issue have forced me to use my laptop like a desktop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Solution
1| how old is your laptop?

2| Have you made sure your laptop's BIOS is up to date?

3| When you speak of a replacement battery, are you sure you matched it with it's part number? Often times, cheap, knock off, batteries can be the culprit.

4| Without the battery can you power up your device? If so then the battery is your culprit. In fact it's possible that the internal circuitry may have been compromised due to age/wear and tear(provided the laptop has seen a lot of time).
Laptop batteries only last a few years with regular use (charge and discharge/power cycling). Did you buy an HP model replacement battery or a knock off? If a knock off, it may not meet the OEM specs of volt output. With that said, run the built in power tester option of the power supply cable and battery. Hit F2 a few times during boot up and it will get you to HP's diagnostics screen (before booting into Windows). Instructions found here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00259897

If everything passes, then it's a possibility you have a failing power controller on the laptop's motherboard and you'll need to replace the entire motherboard. I had to take apart my HP G7 about two years ago to replace a dead cooling fan. I'd recommend buying one of those as well if you get into it. They have a high failure rate in HP laptops. Just search for your laptop model and cooling fan. I found mine on Amazon for only $12.

Lutfij

Titan
1| how old is your laptop?

2| Have you made sure your laptop's BIOS is up to date?

3| When you speak of a replacement battery, are you sure you matched it with it's part number? Often times, cheap, knock off, batteries can be the culprit.

4| Without the battery can you power up your device? If so then the battery is your culprit. In fact it's possible that the internal circuitry may have been compromised due to age/wear and tear(provided the laptop has seen a lot of time).

Solution

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017

Thanks

It told me I needed to replace the battery.

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017

Thanks

Found out that I needed to replace the battery.