[SOLVED] Weird lines on screen with Asus RX 580 4GB ?

My friend is selling his R5 5600X system that has this Asus RX 580 4GB GPU (with 9 months remaining warranty). I bought this GPU to use with my R5 3400G system which is seeing a dGPU for first time. My frined's PSU is Corsair VS450 and mine is Antec VP450P. When I plug it in, it shows these weird lines. It worked for him perfectly and I have the screenshot of the GPU-Z when it worked fine.

Weird lines pic - View: https://i.imgur.com/Da7B4Tf.jpg

GPU-Z screenshot - View: https://i.imgur.com/PwlnnGU.jpg

I installed the exact same driver version and the GPU-Z is showing GPU clock as 0MHz and Pixel rate are unknown. View: https://i.imgur.com/2Pkg8fs.png

My friend's Windows 10 gave him the right driver. I tried the same, gave me the same driver, but still GPU-Z didn't read nor did the weird lines go away.

When I connect to APU input, the display is fine without any lines. Why is it not working for me? Did I break the GPU or I should find the correct working driver?

Anything to do with motherboard BIOS setting?

Solution
Well, there is definitely a problem with PCIe bus, maybe a knocked-off component on the card (or your motherboard has a limitation on the slot you are using)... Are you using a riser? It should be x16 and 3.0 on both fields, try clicking the question mark next to it and running some load.
But even with that, the lines should not be there, might be a dusty or bad monitor cable/connectors, or a bad interface - I would check with different cable/display port/reseat the card.
wYw3zaT.png

P.S The GPU chip/memory clock readings are 0, something is seriously wrong there. I would check the PCIE slot settings in BIOS, also, try a higher rated PSU for this ~350w card...
Well, there is definitely a problem with PCIe bus, maybe a knocked-off component on the card (or your motherboard has a limitation on the slot you are using)... Are you using a riser? It should be x16 and 3.0 on both fields, try clicking the question mark next to it and running some load.
But even with that, the lines should not be there, might be a dusty or bad monitor cable/connectors, or a bad interface - I would check with different cable/display port/reseat the card.
wYw3zaT.png

P.S The GPU chip/memory clock readings are 0, something is seriously wrong there. I would check the PCIE slot settings in BIOS, also, try a higher rated PSU for this ~350w card...

Last edited:
Reactions: Agera One
Solution
What is this PCIe setting thing?
Just use defaults. On some boards you can limit x16 slot to x8 or 2.0 etc.

• Did you try card monitor port and cable? (Unlikely
  • PSU with higher rating? (Unlikely as the card will draw high power under high load which it does not get to)
  • Examine the card for knocked off elements (tiny stuff above the slot connector on the card usually suffers when the card gets brushed or cleaned or put on bare hard surface).

It does look like a card hardware problem.

Reactions: Agera One
Just use defaults. On some boards you can limit x16 slot to x8 or 2.0 etc.

• Did you try card monitor port and cable? (Unlikely
  • PSU with higher rating? (Unlikely as the card will draw high power under high load which it does not get to)
  • Examine the card for knocked off elements (tiny stuff above the slot connector on the card usually suffers when the card gets brushed or cleaned or put on bare hard surface).
It does look like a card hardware problem.

I tried clearing CMOS and setting everything to defaults in BIOS.

Tried connecting the output to my TV with the HDMI cable that came with TV.

I have handled it very carefully and the card didn't brush or drag on any surface.

Only thing I didn't try is to clean the PCI-e slot off from any dust and golden connectors on the GPU (read it in internet somewhere)