[SOLVED] Weird network issue that has me stumped for two days now, any ideas?

BoaConstrictor

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this network issue I'm having.

So, I have kind of an odd setup at home. I have internet through Earthlink fiberoptic that uses the verizon network. When I set it up a few years ago, they sent me a combination modem/router, model Smart RG SR510N. The speed is fine but the built in router has no range and I need the connection to reach the basement in my house, the router is on the second story. So, when I got it, I turned off the wireless functions to just use it as a modem and hooked up an inexpensive Netgear N150 as a router to one of the lan ports. It worked for a few years, but the N150 just hasn't been fast enough for video streaming.

I decided to upgrade and bought a Netgear AC1600. When I plug it in the same way as with my original Netgear N150, nothing happens. It doesn't show up in the network. The power light is blinking green, so it's working, but the wifi light never turns on. I've updated the firmware to latest version and tried the Netgear phone app, but it can't find the router. I also tried buying a switch and splitting the main cable running from the wall to run to the modem and router separately, and it doesn't help either. Tried different cables and outlets. I thought it would be an easy swap from one router to the other, but it has been anything but.

I've also tried the factory reset on the Netgear, but no dice.

It's kind of odd, when I first hooked it up yesterday, a network came up from the router (which doesn't happen now) but as soon as I connected to it, it disappeared and hasn't shown up since.

Any ideas anyone? I'm absolutely stumped...I'm not the best with computers so I figure someone here might have an idea.

Thank You

Solution
My guess is the default DHCP range on the netgear is the same as the DHCP range on the SR510N. Change the LAN IP and DHCP range on the SR510N to something different in the third set of numbers. Instead of 192.168.0.1 change to 192.168.99.1 and the DHCP range to be 192.168.99.2 - 192.168.99.100

kanewolf

Titan
My guess is the default DHCP range on the netgear is the same as the DHCP range on the SR510N. Change the LAN IP and DHCP range on the SR510N to something different in the third set of numbers. Instead of 192.168.0.1 change to 192.168.99.1 and the DHCP range to be 192.168.99.2 - 192.168.99.100

Solution

BoaConstrictor

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Thank you, I appreciate your help.

I will try these suggestions, I hope it works...
Do you think, it also might be since when I first plugged it in and the network showed up, that something broke in the router and that's why it's not giving off a signal anymore?