Question Weird No Beep on first boot, take 1 RAM stick out, boots fine, shutdown, put the ram stick back in, boots fine ?

Feb 21, 2023
As the title says I have a weird boot issue, this is happening nearly every day I boot my computer for the first time, or after a few hours of it being off.

When turning on, the PSU will just click, without any beeping sounds. I'll then proceed to open the case take out the 1st stick of RAM, and then power back on with getting fine to the Windows login. I'll turn off the PC, re-insert the RAM stick and again it'll boot just fine. So I'm puzzled, I don't know where it could be failing, why the computer struggles to boot on the first time after a while, and why it boots okay after removing a RAM stick, and yet it also boots okay when tha RAM stick is re-inserted ?

Things I've tried:
  • Reconnecting all of the power cords.
  • Taking multiple slots of RAM to verify that is not slot 1 failing.
  • Changing power outlet.
System specs:
Motherboard : GIGABYTE Z370P D3-CF
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2060 GAMING OC 6GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C16-16GTZR x 4
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular

I've had the PC for 5 years no problems whatsoever until this started a month ago.
Suggestions are welcome before I start replacing components, as I don't know if it's a PSU, MB, or RAM issue.

Thanks

Feb 20, 2023
Try cleaning the RAM pins and motherboard RAM slots. You say you have the PC for 5 years, when was the last time you cleaned it ?
Even with proper and excellent air flow dust particles and other debris can still get inside your PC case

Feb 21, 2023
Try cleaning the RAM pins and motherboard RAM slots. You say you have the PC for 5 years, when was the last time you cleaned it ?
Even with proper and excellent air flow dust particles and other debris can still get inside your PC case

I cleaned thoroughly a month ago, I don't think is the case of debris/dust on the RAM slot, as I literally need to take it a RAM slot out everyday, clean it, boot, put back the RAM, boot again.

If you are leaving PC off for few hours, do you turn off PSU switch? In other words does the problem happen immediately after you turn PSU on?
I don't switch off the PSU, I switch off the PC, the PSU remains on, I only switch off the PSU when it doesn't boot to safely take the RAM out and put it back in again.

Feb 21, 2023
Ok then, have you tried just turning PSU off/on instead of removing RAM?
I have tried turning the PSU on/off , it doesn't boot until I remove the RAM stick. Then as I said in the main post, putting that RAM stick back on, boots fine, but not until I removed it, boot once, turned it off, put the ram back in, boot again, works fine.

Last edited:
I have tried turning the PSU on/off , it doesn't boot until I remove the RAM stick. Then as I said in the main post, putting that RAM stick back on, boots fine, but not until I removed it, boot once, turned it off, put the ram back in, boot again, works fine.
Ok. So the PSU doing just click instead of powering up means one of the protections is engaging. The question is which one. Typically that would be SCP but I see no way a short would be gone just be reinserting RAM stick. It can't be OTP at all. Your system does not draw enough power to trigger OPP unless PSU was severally degraded but then you would have constant problems with normal usage. That leaves only OCP and OVP/UVP as possible. This could mean one of the motherboard memory voltage regulators is not working properly - and the fact that it happens after PC is off for some time could mean it is a failing capacitor. I presume it does not matter which of the sticks you remove? Just reducing strain on memory VRM will do the trick.

Feb 21, 2023
Ok. So the PSU doing just click instead of powering up means one of the protections is engaging. The question is which one. Typically that would be SCP but I see no way a short would be gone just be reinserting RAM stick. It can't be OTP at all. Your system does not draw enough power to trigger OPP unless PSU was severally degraded but then you would have constant problems with normal usage. That leaves only OCP and OVP/UVP as possible. This could mean one of the motherboard memory voltage regulators is not working properly - and the fact that it happens after PC is off for some time could mean it is a failing capacitor. I presume it does not matter which of the sticks you remove? Just reducing strain on memory VRM will do the trick.

Interesting I'm not too familiar with power/capacitors, you are correct with your assumption, removing any RAM stick does the trick. Does this mean a faulty mb, or can anything be done about it?