Question Weird noise and PC resets itself (windows 10)

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Hello hive mind!

I would like to ask you something about my PC which, on every autumn/winter (I live in UK) starts with this issue:
Basically, EVERY morning I power the pc on, it starts making a weird and loud noise (probably from the turbines of the ventilation system, but I'm not sure). This lasts for about 1 minute, then after it gets warmed up a little bit, the noise stops and everything is back to normal. This happens, literally, every day from around October and all the way until April/May...

I've tried doing a deep clean inside, even covering the case with a thick towel or something similar overnight (since I turn it off overnight), but nothing seems to solve the problem. At first, I thought that, as strange as it might be, the issue didn't seem to affect anything so I just went on with it... but last year, one morning, the PC would not turn on! It ended up being the internal power supply that stopped working.

Afer then, the noise stopped. Now, I don't know if that fixed that problem, or it was just because the days were getting warmer anyway... but now the problem is back again and I know for a fact that this is a problem related with cold and/or humidity (although I have a dehumidifier in my room and I don't have humidity problems), I just don't know how to solve the issue. And I do't want to end up buying a new power supply every year.

Can anyone please give me an idea of what can I do to fix this?

Thank you very much

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Oh, and forgot to mention that sometimes it even resets itself when I try to power it up in the morning. It gives me the blue screen with an error message saying that it will reset itself soon... and so it does.
I've no idea what's going on.

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Thanks thefxgamingrules for the quick reply!
I will record the sound tomorrow morning, in the meantime this is the error code:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (NFTS.sys)

Do you have a HDD drive? NFTS,sys is a hardware driver program that would have to do with read/write. As we don't have the sound yet it could well be you have an issuse trying to boot up so all fans go full pelt.

This should help you.....

Your HDD may be dying, get what you need off it, get a new one and do a clean install of Win 10 is my advice.

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Thanks Schlachtwolf for the reply.

You really think my HDD is about to die? To be honest I don't have much in it (as I have a solid state drive too where I have all my other programs... basically on this HDD there is only Windows and perhaphs some AKS folders and stuff that I would be able to back up no prob), but I was thinking to hold on to this as much as possible, perhaps one more year before buying a completely new PC, with only SSD.

Anyway I am trying to follow the suggestions in the link you attached, but when I open the CMD apparently I am not the administrator? Sorry for the very silly quesiton but... how do I start the CMD as administrator?

Tomorrow I will have the recording ready, fingers crossed is not that bad!

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Thank you very much Schlachtwolf for the video, it was very easy indeed!

Anyway. this is the the noise I was talking about (it actually stopped after 4-5 minutes, not 1 minute like I wrote in my first message).
This time I didn't get the error message and didn't reset itself, it only happens SOMETIMES (and when it does, the noise is even worse the the one you are hearing now.)

https://vimeo.com/user125446492/review/470085930/1945ea9327

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
I have also run all the tests suggested in the link you attached, Schlachtwolf, but I can't see any change. Well, I would see tomorrow morning... but something tells me that this didn't fix the issue, since as I said this happens only in cold conditions (overnight, during autumn/winter), so I guess this is something I must take care of from "outside" (as in, using perhaps a thicker cover to put around the case overnight or something similar, not to let the cold reaching the components). But I don't really know what else I can try, to be honest.

Oct 8, 2020
Hello hive mind!

I would like to ask you something about my PC which, on every autumn/winter (I live in UK) starts with this issue:
Basically, EVERY morning I power the pc on, it starts making a weird and loud noise (probably from the turbines of the ventilation system, but I'm not sure). This lasts for about 1 minute, then after it gets warmed up a little bit, the noise stops and everything is back to normal. This happens, literally, every day from around October and all the way until April/May...

I've tried doing a deep clean inside, even covering the case with a thick towel or something similar overnight (since I turn it off overnight), but nothing seems to solve the problem. At first, I thought that, as strange as it might be, the issue didn't seem to affect anything so I just went on with it... but last year, one morning, the PC would not turn on! It ended up being the internal power supply that stopped working.

Afer then, the noise stopped. Now, I don't know if that fixed that problem, or it was just because the days were getting warmer anyway... but now the problem is back again and I know for a fact that this is a problem related with cold and/or humidity (although I have a dehumidifier in my room and I don't have humidity problems), I just don't know how to solve the issue. And I do't want to end up buying a new power supply every year.

Can anyone please give me an idea of what can I do to fix this?

Thank you very much
First, you can try by windows set up and then you can try upgrading your HDD to SSD. This should work. My PC once had similar case and after I did the both. So, I can recommend you that much. Should work fine.

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Hi Snow_cherry12, sorry what do you mean by "you can try windows set up"? Are you refering to that link that Schlachtwolf suggested?
Also, is there a way to be 100% sure that the problem is the HDD? For example I could try and phisically disconnect it from the inside tomorrow morning before powering up and see if it still makes the noise? Would that be a safe thing to do?

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
How can I check that? Windows is installed in the hdd, so I suppose that means it is my boot drive? But as you say, even if it is I should still be able to see something, so at least that should be enough for me to check if I still get the noise.

If that's the case then I'll do that tomorrow morning, but in the meantime if there is anything else I can do, please let me know.

Thanks!

P.S. Another silly question... once I disconnect the hdd tomorrow morning and power the computer on, how can I then power it off safely? Or Can I just hold the power button to force it and power it down without problems?

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Ok guys, I did the test and I must say... I'm confused ahahaha
I unplugged the hdd and started the computer which didn't make the "usual" loud noise BUT I could still hear a fan a bit noisy (not excessively, but still not as quiet as it's supposed to be... then I've plugged the hdd back in and everything was fine).
So, I'm not sure now if the problem is only the hdd or perhaps there is something more?

Is there any other solution/test I can run before making my last decision if I will have to buy a new hd or not?

Thank you!

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
I see, but the thing is, the error message only comes when the fan noise get much worse than "usual" (as in, most of the time I get the noise, but not the error message, so I can just leave the computer on until the noise disappears by itself). So, if the problem is really th hdd, am I not supposed to get the error message every day? Because for example, since I have started this conversation in the forum, the error message didn't show up again, just the noise.

So, I am wondering... what if that error message is actually a consequence of whatever is happening in the fan (or whatever piece nearby)? Would that be possible, somehow? Or MUST it be the other way around (the fan gets noisier because there is a fault in the hdd)?

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error happens when a system thread generates an exception that an error handler fails to catch. Because this error went unnoticed, your computer threw up some red flags and decided to shut itself down to prevent any further damage. So your system has some real issues.

I would get the new HDD/SSD and do a clean install of Win 10, these are issues from system instability due to faulty drivers, missing data reads etc, etc, etc..... the only thing you could try for aquick fix is run CCleaner "Registry cleaner" and fix pathway issues but seems to me the only way to get the PC back on track is invest a small amount in nwer hardware and a clean install.

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Understood. thank you very much Schlachtwolf for the explanation and the patience. I'm convinced now!
So, is there a hdd that you would suggest? As in, something not too expensive but that is good enough for me to be able to manage for at least another year or couple of years (when I will buy a whole new system)?

If it is for your OS then a reliable SSD like from Samsung or Crucial you can never really go wrong, HDD is going out of mode but the Seagate ones I have always found to be good. SSD is faster than HDD but a 1tb SSD starts at 80€ here in Germany and HDD starts at ca.35€.....

Pacdude

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Alright, so... the problem is definitely NOT the hdd. As I've tried disconnecting both my drivers and still had that noise. Now I have a brand new ssd which I didn't really need...

Anyway, now I am thinking to try with a new fan... but before I buy it, is there something in particular I should consider? Such as, if the fan pulls in or out the air? The fan that is making the noise is the one on top of the case, and I THINK it's pulling the air out (if I put my hands there I can feel the air that generates)... but looking at different oline stores, they don't seem to specify in which direction the fan is going to pull the air... so perhaps it doesn't really matter?

Anyway the size should be 120mm, but just want to be sure about the air flow situation before buying one.

For example, what about this one?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu.../nzxt-aer-f-120-mm-case-fan-10216076-pdt.html

Or perhaps I can get something cheaper, like this?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...20a-120-mm-case-fan-rgb-led-10213134-pdt.html

As I said, it's just to manage for another year or two, until I'll buy a whole new system.

Thanks

Last edited: