Question weird noise coming from pc

Ralston18

Titan
I hear some brief "clunky" (?) sounds and then what seems to be fans spinning up.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Are you comfortable with powering down, unplugging, and opening the case in order to locate the source of the sound? Do you have a family member or friend who can help?

Use a rolled up sheet of paper or a long cardboard tube held to your ear and carefully listen about to locate the source of the sound.

simontompkins

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
It sounds to me like a loose cable against a fan - as you've written you've taken the fans off I presume that leaves the CPU fan - maybe a loose cable clinking against that.

A small piece of paper managing to get in an optical drive may make such a sound, something small enough to to be creating the sound on start up but not enough to stop discs being read.

Could also be a PSU problem causing the click.

Sep 27, 2022
The two biggest culprits for excess noise in computers are fans and the hard disk. Fans are used to move the heat produced by the processor, motherboard, and graphics card out of the computer. If the fans are loose, too small, or not powerful enough, they can create noise. FaceTime App

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS