Weird noise from PSU/GPU when gaming, but not when benchmarking

Kenny Quach

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I hear an audible whirring sound from my pc when playing games, strangely it sometimes pauses during loading screens and the like. I've opened up the case and pinpointed the noise to somewhere between the PSU and the GPU.
I don't believe that it's coil whine from my GPU as I have tried running Furmark and the noise it produces is much higher pitched and not as audible.
There is no noise when I run prime95 so I don't believe it is related to my CPU.
My PSU is an old Scythe Kamariki IV which I've had for 6 years and my GPU is a recently bought GTX 970.

Solution
I have whirring problem with my fan on water cooling system. When it cames to 2000 rpm then i hear a whirring like buzzing.
So try next, when the computer is on load and whirring starts try gently slow down the vent on psu if whirring stops you will know what is problem

Kenny Quach

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I clean it regularly with an air compressor.
I just did some more testing while monitoring everything with MSI Afterburner. The noise only appears when I hit the voltage/ OV MAX limit. When I run Furmark the load reaches 100% but I only reach the power limit. When I open a game the voltage and OV max limit maxes out first.
A new PSU would be nice, a modular PSU would free up so much space, but I'd hate to buy a new one only to find out the problem was elsewhere.

jenky82

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

jenky82

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
I have whirring problem with my fan on water cooling system. When it cames to 2000 rpm then i hear a whirring like buzzing.
So try next, when the computer is on load and whirring starts try gently slow down the vent on psu if whirring stops you will know what is problem

Solution