Question Weird noise from the CPU area during certain conditions ?

roflcopter-lol

Distinguished
May 3, 2012
Hi!

I've been trying to troubleshoot a weird noise from the CPU-area of my motherboard (I've done testing by making a tube and listening in on specific parts of the build). It doesn't occur at idle, it doesn't occur at full load during prime95. It doesn't occur during stress tests of the GPU. It only occurs when i boot certain games. I suspect it to be games that are memory and cpu intensive, not GPU intensive.

The noise is somewhat low, perhaps like a buzzing (more like a white noise/subtle whine). The noise is almost constant, but can have very short breaks. The pitch is constant and the noise doesn't change in frequency or in any way. English is not my first language, so hopefully my explanation is good enough. It's certainly not coil whine from the GPU or PSU related.

I've tried disabling c-states, it does nothing.

Can someone help me in terms of what to try out? And help me judge if i should be concerned?

Best regards

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Coolers? Clocking?

What "certain games" cause the problem?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Double check that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to look for any signs of damage: cracked connectors, bare conductor showing, kinked or pinched wires, loose or missing screws.