Question Weird noise in Corsair CV550 power supply

Apr 19, 2022
Hi everyone, last year I purchased a Corsair CV550 for a low budget PC, there's no GPU, just a Core i5-10400. But since about a month ago it started making a weird noise no matter the load. I'm not sure what it could be. The audio has a AWGN filter and a little amplification:

Thank you very much

EDIT:
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Core i5-10400 - 2.9GHz-4.3Ghz - 65W
  • 2x8GiB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
  • MoBo ASUS Prime B460M-A
  • Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports
  • Fans: 2xARCTIC P12 PWM PST

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you certain that the sound is coming from the PSU?

To me it sounds as if something is rubbing, slows down, speeds up, rubs again, etc., etc..

Any signs of wear on the PSU fan blades.

In any case:

Power down, unplug, open the computer case. Do not open the PSU - it is not repairable and opening it up could end badly.

Use a bright flashlight to look for debris in the PSU or other fans.

Check that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Check that all screws (including those screws holding the PSU in place) are snug but do not over tighten.

May just need to keep things from moving/rubbing to end the problem.

Apr 19, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you certain that the sound is coming from the PSU?

To me it sounds as if something is rubbing, slows down, speeds up, rubs again, etc., etc..

Any signs of wear on the PSU fan blades.

In any case:

Power down, unplug, open the computer case. Do not open the PSU - it is not repairable and opening it up could end badly.

Use a bright flashlight to look for debris in the PSU or other fans.

Check that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Check that all screws (including those screws holding the PSU in place) are snug but do not over tighten.

May just need to keep things from moving/rubbing to end the problem.
Hi Ralston18, yes I'm 100% certain it comes from the PSU, I checked the other three fans. I'll try as you said. Thanks