[SOLVED] Weird noise - Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamajee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hey guys,

Hoping for some help with this HDD I've had for a while that makes a weird kind of sound that I can't seem to figure out, all of the videos I watch on YouTube or elsewhere have different ticking/grinding noises and I couldn't find an HDD that has the same noise.

From what I'm hearing, it seems to be coming from the actuator arm. I thought it would be a damaged platter but after opening it and running it without the lid (yes I know it's not advised to do but I already gave up thinking any of the data is recoverable, so this will be for fun) the platter seems to be just fine with zero visible scratches.

Would appreciate any input!

View: https://youtu.be/k2L-Ra3ZHIE

Solution
There may not be any visible damages on either surfaces. Also you've let in contaminated gas (i.e. air with dust particles) into the drive, so that in itself are a certain way of destroying the disk.

yamajee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
There may not be any visible damages on either surfaces. Also you've let in contaminated gas (i.e. air with dust particles) into the drive, so that in itself are a certain way of destroying the disk.

It was the exact same noise prior to opening the lid so it really doesn't matter now whether I've let in dust or not, I am just asking since there was no clear answer to what this noise is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS