Question Weird on off flickering for 2 Mins after windows 11 startup on a hdmi screen only RTX 2070 Super

Feb 8, 2023
Hey,

i´ve got a weird on off flickering for 6:30 Mins after windows 11 startup on a hdmi screen only RTX 2070 Super. (the left screen is HDMI to HDMI)

(and the right screen Displayport to HDMI adapter to DVI which does not have this problem)

I tried to change the hdmi cable an connector

aswell as a complete reinstall of windows.

Nvidia GeForce Gameready Driver 528.49 is installed

It only happends on startup after login for 2 mins and never there after.

I use VeraCrypt and the PC does this also on the pre sign-in phase.

I noticed that after the first start and problem occurred i can use my pc normal as i already said but doing a restart the problem does not occur. Only after hrs or the day after.

HERE A VIDEO OF HOW IT LOOKS:

View: https://vimeo.com/794466193

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023
What happens if you change their starting order? What are the two refresh rates for the monitors? Is the refresh rate for the problem monitor set to recommended rate?
First of all thank you for your answer.
I really appreciate it.
I tried to set both monitors the left bigger one to standard 60hz from 74hz and the right smaller one form 66hz to 60hz and change the priority but the problem stayed the same whithout any change.

Feb 8, 2023
Did this occur before you updated your gpu drivers to 428.49? Double check to make sure windows didn't sneak a different driver in. You can try using an earlier driver also.
Yes the problem occured also on the previous 3 Nvidia updates.
I also disabled my onboard Intel GPU in device manager aswell as in the bios.
I also skip the installation of the Intel Display optional drivers.

Take a look here : View: https://imgur.com/a/ViGmbEB

View: https://imgur.com/a/QEHL71x

Feb 8, 2023
the phenomenon is that the problem appears only once a day.
For example i start my pc at the morning at the problem appears. After that i can shutdown my pc for 1/2/3 hours and it will not happen again.
But when i turn my pc off for the night and turn it on again at the morging it will happen once.

Feb 8, 2023
Swap the cables going to monitors and see if the problem follows the cable or monitor. If I had too guess right now I would say it is a problem with monitor's electronics.
when i swap the monitor from left to right the problem does happen on the other monitor aswell .

Feb 8, 2023
thank you for your help!
This is exactly what i tried yesterday. I bought 2x DisplayPort to hdmi cables with didn´t fix the issue. Yes when i connect one monitor the problem doesn´t happen not matter which one is connected

thank you for your help!
This is exactly what i tried yesterday. I bought 2x DisplayPort to hdmi cables with didn´t fix the issue. Yes when i connect one monitor the problem doesn´t happen not matter which one is connected
So I think it is some kind of software problem. Unfortunately Windows updates have tendency to induce new bugs that can cause such problems.

Reactions: Wiry6215
Feb 8, 2023
i hope it will be fixed in the future. i run nvme´s only in this build and the start makes it not possible to use my pc for 6 mins at least after reboot

Feb 8, 2023
So yeah at this point it has to be a software problem.
I´ve downgraded my entire system from windows 11 to windows 10 via the offical media creation tool with e complete wipe of the old data on both C and D Drive and installed all updates and drivers just to get the same result and on off flickering for 15/20mins after first boot.