Question Weird PC behaviours - Help

Jan 12, 2020
Hi,
This is my first build.
This morning, I got everything working just fine - installed Windows, drivers, games, etc. I checked the system several times and it was working normally.

However, after shutting it down for about 7 hours, I turned it on and it is not working properly.
Symptoms:
  • All case fans run for like 1/10 seconds and then turn off
  • PSU fan also run for like 1/10 seconds and then turn off
  • This is repeated about every 2-3 seconds.
  • The LED indicator on the motherboard says CPU is not detected or fail - it blinks just like the fan so I am not sure whether it is indicating the CPU is failing or not. I checked Youtube and it should be a continuous light.
  • This repetition of turning on/off can be shut down if I hold the power switch for like 10 seconds.
System build:
Case: SilverStone Raven Series RVZ03 Black Mini ITX Case
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 9600KF
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 GAMING, 8GB
PSU: Corsair CX650M 650W Bronze Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M5 LED CPU Cooler, Low-Profile
Case fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow X 12cm non-LED Black Fan
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD - MZ-76Q1T0BW
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Desktop RAM

What should I do now? As this is a mini case, I don't really want to pull everything apart after building it though.

Last edited:
Hi,

Remove any external flash drives and any device you have connected into the USB ports (Mouse keyboard etc.) Power up your PC.

If this don't work. Power off the system and reset the BIOS.
9fvW2TQ.gif

If this doesn't work remove the M/B's battery and follow the previews procedure again. Place the battery back and power up the system.
[EDIT] The manual of your motherboard doesn't indicate that you can remove the battery. If this is true forget the above step.

Now if the problem persists then you most probably have a hardware problem.

The way you describe the whole situation, it seems that somewhere something short circuits the system.
Maybe I am wrong since the PC worked fine the first time you run it, and a short circuit usually appears almost immediately, not after some hours of operation. Unless you did something very "funny" while the system was working, did you?

Usually in case of a hardware problem you check out the M/B's error codes, but since you are writing you are not sure what kind of error code the M/B signal's then you have to apply the step by step trial and error approach.

E.g. place the RAM stick into a different slots. If this doesn't solve the problem put the RAM back into original slot and disconnect the SSD drive. If this doesn't work reconnect the SSD and remove the Graphics Card and so on.

Follow the above and tell us if you succeed to fix it.

Edit notes: Battery and first step.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020
Hi,

Remove any external flash drives and any device you have connected into the USB ports (Mouse keyboard etc.) Power up your PC.

If this don't work. Power off the system and reset the BIOS.
9fvW2TQ.gif

If this doesn't work remove the M/B's battery and follow the previews procedure again. Place the battery back and power up the system.
[EDIT] The manual of your motherboard doesn't indicate that you can remove the battery. If this is true forget the above step.

Now if the problem persists then you most probably have a hardware problem.

The way you describe the whole situation, it seems that somewhere something short circuits the system.
Maybe I am wrong since the PC worked fine the first time you run it, and a short circuit usually appears almost immediately, not after some hours of operation. Unless you did something very "funny" while the system was working, did you?

Usually in case of a hardware problem you check out the M/B's error codes, but since you are writing you are not sure what kind of error code the M/B signal's then you have to apply the step by step trial and error approach.

E.g. place the RAM stick into a different slots. If this doesn't solve the problem put the RAM back into original slot and disconnect the SSD drive. If this doesn't work reconnect the SSD and remove the Graphics Card and so on.

Follow the above and tell us if you succeed to fix it.

Edit notes: Battery and first step.
Hi,
I wish I had read your advice earlier.
Yesterday, I breadboarded the PC. I only put CPU, RAM on the mobo. When I turned it on, the problem still occurred as I mentioned earlier.

When I reset the BIOS, and turned it on, it just ran normally again. Nothing seems wrong for now.

I am still not sure what caused this error. I believe I did not do anything funny to the PC. I only updated the drivers using the MSI Dragon Centre, which comes with the motherboard. I had also restarted the PC several times before this issue happened, but it was still working after the updates. So, for this to happen after a long shut down is really weird.

I think if this happens again, the first thing I will do is resetting the BIOS. Putting everything back in this mini PC case is a pain though.

Last edited: