Question Weird PC display crash on fresh install

niktr96

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018
Friend's PC is acting up, possible GPU driver/hardware issue. New PC, New Windows, Freshly installed drivers, it does this: video

He was able to fix it Once by switching his GPU with another one, then putting the same one back. Worked fine for a while, then he accidentally alt-tabbed and clicked on Disney+ while gaming, PC got borked again.

He tried a complete format. Same thing happened on an Empty windows as soon as the log-in screen popped up.
He tried updating windows and all drivers. Nothing changed.
He tried pulling out the MB battery and restarting BIOS.
He will try to switch his GPU out and then put it back again to see if it fixes the problem, but we still have no idea why this happens in the first place.

Specs:
GPU: Asus Tuf RTX 3070
MB: ASROCK Steel Legend B550M
RAM: Kingston HyperX Renegade 3200MHz 4x8GB
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
PSU: BeQuiet System Power 9 700W

Last edited:

niktr96

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018
I'd swap out the PSU for sure (since you should under any circumstances). The "System Power" series is the company's very basic, entry-level PSU series, and is definitely inappropriate for a 3070 Ti with a 5900X.
We will try using a different PSU, but it shouldn't be a PSU issue, 700W is more than enough and this happens on Bootup so there's no strain on the PSU at all.
Even so... why would swapping the GPU twice fix the issue temporarily? it makes no sense.

**By swapping the GPU twice I mean, Pull out RTX 3070, Put in GT 630, Pull out GT630, Put in RTX 3070 again.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
We will try using a different PSU, but it shouldn't be a PSU issue, 700W is more than enough and this happens on Bootup so there's no strain on the PSU at all.
Even so... why would swapping the GPU twice fix the issue temporarily? it makes no sense.

**By swapping the GPU twice I mean, Pull out RTX 3070, Put in GT 630, Pull out GT630, Put in RTX 3070 again.

It's good to simplify matters. 700W is an output, not a quality. Since the PSU should be replaced even if there were no problems, it's a real no-brainer to do it and re-evaluate.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran