Stupspider

Prominent
Apr 4, 2022
Windows 10
GeForce 1060 6GB
intel i5-8400 2.8GHz
24GB DDR4
500 power supply

At extremely infrequent times, my PC freezes and they can last from about 10 seconds to 1 minute. But when it freezes, it's not like I can't do anything, but my PC acts strangely. I have absolutely no idea what's going on so I'll just try to list some things that occur when it freezes. It can happen a fair amount per day too. On average it happens about 5 times per day, but it ranges a lot.

When I say freeze, I don't mean that the screen is completely frozen and nothing changes. I can still move my mouse around and click on some things. I don't know what the term for that would be though.

Something I often do when it freezes is try to open task manager, but when I try to right click the task bar, nothing shows up. ctrl + shift + del doesn't open anything either. When I have task manager open while the computer freezes, task manager also completely freezes. When the computer goes back to normal, it seems like the CPU quickly descends from 100% usage. That could also be due to task manager itself though.

On Discord, I can open approximately 4 (on average) channels before no messages load which makes absolutely no sense. It makes no difference is there are unread messages in that channel either.

No programs are able to open no matter what.

On YouTube, the video will play perfectly fine, but when the computer begins freezing, no more of the video will load (until the computer stops freezing).

Some programs are able to function perfectly fine. For example, some games will seemingly run like normal no matter how CPU/GPU intensive they are. I'm not able to respond to pings when playing multiplayer in those games though. Other games will freeze along with my PC and only resume when the PC is unfrozen.

As for when the freezes occur, I have yet to find a common denominator for that. I could be at nearly 100% CPU usage and the freezes could happen, and I could be doing pretty much nothing, and the freezes could happen.

The freezes started happening around March 20th. I've looked through my programs and the only things that were installed around that time are the Rockstar Games launcher (which I've installed previously without troubles) and four things of Microsoft Visual C++ (2005 (x64), 2015-2022 (x64) 14.30.30704, 2013 (x86) 12.0.40660, and 2013 (x64) 12.0.40660).

It could be a driver issue, but if it is, I don't know which driver could be causing it. Any input is appreciated as I'm completely lost at this point.

Stupspider

Prominent
Apr 4, 2022
I'd just like to give a quick update on the situation. I've figured out exactly what's causing the freezing, but not how to fix it.

So as you can see, my disk usage is constantly at 50% when this is happening despite only 2 programs using up a total of 0.2MB/s.

This is what it's normally like. It seems like my disk is causing the freezing, but I have no idea why nor how to fix it.

I have a 120GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD (2 partitions, ~20% and 80%)

Apr 29, 2022
Windows 10
GeForce 1060 6GB
intel i5-8400 2.8GHz
24GB DDR4
500 power supply

At extremely infrequent times, my PC freezes and they can last from about 10 seconds to 1 minute. But when it freezes, it's not like I can't do anything, but my PC acts strangely. I have absolutely no idea what's going on so I'll just try to list some things that occur when it freezes. It can happen a fair amount per day too. On average it happens about 5 times per day, but it ranges a lot.

When I say freeze, I don't mean that the screen is completely frozen and nothing changes. I can still move my mouse around and click on some things. I don't know what the term for that would be though.

Something I often do when it freezes is try to open task manager, but when I try to right click the task bar, nothing shows up. ctrl + shift + del doesn't open anything either. When I have task manager open while the computer freezes, task manager also completely freezes. When the computer goes back to normal, it seems like the CPU quickly descends from 100% usage. That could also be due to task manager itself though.

On Discord, I can open approximately 4 (on average) channels before no messages load which makes absolutely no sense. It makes no difference is there are unread messages in that channel either.

No programs are able to open no matter what.

On YouTube, the video will play perfectly fine, but when the computer begins freezing, no more of the video will load (until the computer stops freezing).

Some programs are able to function perfectly fine. For example, some games will seemingly run like normal no matter how CPU/GPU intensive they are. I'm not able to respond to pings when playing multiplayer in those games though. Other games will freeze along with my PC and only resume when the PC is unfrozen.

As for when the freezes occur, I have yet to find a common denominator for that. I could be at nearly 100% CPU usage and the freezes could happen, and I could be doing pretty much nothing, and the freezes could happen.

The freezes started happening around March 20th. I've looked through my programs and the only things that were installed around that time are the Rockstar Games launcher (which I've installed previously without troubles) and four things of Microsoft Visual C++ (2005 (x64), 2015-2022 (x64) 14.30.30704, 2013 (x86) 12.0.40660, and 2013 (x64) 12.0.40660).

It could be a driver issue, but if it is, I don't know which driver could be causing it. Any input is appreciated as I'm completely lost at this point.

I am having the exact same issue.

(I apologize for lack of actual component stats from the system, I am at work writing this, I will add the proper info when i get home tonight)

April 4 2022, I had my PC rebuilt due my old PSU taking my MB and Processor out.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10GHz 4.10 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Device ID B21F754C-158E-42CA-94D4-2C529B8AD711
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA675
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎3/‎30/‎2022
OS build 19044.1645
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

a new MB Asus Prime Z590-p, with a Processor intel core i5-10600K CPU 4.10GHz
Installed new RAM 16.0 GB, PSU 600W, new SSD 120 HD (currently loosely installed, flops in the cradle)
I kept my old GFX card GTX1070 ti installed.

Freezing started as soon as I got the machine home, just as the OP stated his was freezing.

my freezes happen in gaming, playing black 4 blood mainly, would freeze for a few minutes, but would unfreeze and I would have to rejoin the service (team) i was on, continue playing until the next freeze.

I would also freeze while browsing the web, screen/browsers would freeze, mouse would move but not able to interact with anything. CTRL+ALT+DEL would not bring up task manager.

On a more "feel" bases, very minimal, but it is obvious to me, the PC reaction to my mouse and commands seems less liquid, fluid, almost like a refresh rate not right, or a conflict causing response to be lacking...Its hard to explain, but I can feel the difference.

I took this machine back to the shop a couple times, they would throw new components at it, saying it was over heating (which it was not, I monitored that at home myself) or it was the game and would find a forum tech complaints about the game freezing...etc. They said it could be my GFX card,
so I purchased a new RTX3070 ti 8GB.
Video:
Name NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2482&SUBSYS_165319DA&REV_A1\4&38AB2860&0&0008
Adapter Type NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Installed Drivers C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_4d7400884d0d52e3\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_4d7400884d0d52e3\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_4d7400884d0d52e3\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_4d7400884d0d52e3\nvldumdx.dll
Driver Version 30.0.15.1259
INF File oem28.inf (Section072 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xA0000000-0xA10FFFFF
Memory Address 0x0000-0x11FFFFFF
Memory Address 0x10000000-0x11FFFFFF
I/O Port 0x00006000-0x00006FFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967259
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\NV_DISPI.INF_AMD64_4D7400884D0D52E3\NVLDDMKM.SYS (30.0.15.1259, 40.36 MB (42,323,520 bytes), 4/26/2022 8:09 PM)

They installed a new PSU up to 850W, a new cooler for the processor, relocated my fans. And now with my new GFX card...im still freezing.

I want to say it has something to do with the Mother board or ePCI slots in it, or possibly the SSD.
But the shop is not even considering those components could fail, so keeps pointing fingers everywhere else, instead of troubleshooting.

so I am watching this post closely.
I hope this helps figure out both our problems

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022
I’m having a similar problem but mine doesn’t come back once it’s frozen. I’ve been playing Warzone on a PC I built for 18 months or so, I’ve never had any major issues. A couple weeks ago my PC froze when I exited a match(not while in game but when I hit esc then leave match, it froze in the loading screen back to lobby. I couldn’t click other apps, I couldn’t force close, couldn’t control/alt/delete, nothing. I could move my mouse around but it did nothing. I had to hold the power button down and power it back up. This kept happening randomly over the next few days. I decided to wipe the hard drive completely, back to square one. I reinstalled Windows 10 and it played great for a few days, no freezing. It froze again, I reset it. Back into Warzone and it immediately froze again, and again while just in the lobby. I completely wiped it again and installed Windows 11 this time. It played great for a few days and the same thing happened again today. I’ve tried “scan and repair”, I’ve Googled every which way to set up the settings, all drivers are up to date, no Windows updates, nothing is getting too hot. CPU temp is 50°-60°, GPU temp is 60°-70°.