Question Weird PC Restart Loop... Help please

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
Hello,

yesterday I started having a weird issue. Suddenly in the middle of the night my PC booted up (it was shutdown not on sleep mode) and started a weird restart loop where it would power up for 4-5 seconds, power off for 1-2 seconds and so on... I had to switch off the PSU or it wouldn't stop and the moment i switch it back on it goes back to the same loop. I tried taking out the GPU and disconnect all peripherals to see if it would still persist but it stopped. surprisingly too when I put the GPU back it didn't do the boot loop and actually worked normally for an hour. I shut it off and kept the power to see what happens and again after a few hours it randomly booted up.

I suspect this is a PSU issue. I'd appreciate any feedback on what it is and any next steps as I am stumped at the moment. Note: Idk if this is relevant but sometimes when I wake the PC up from sleep i get a BSOD with code: video TDR Failure. it happens 1/20 times and I just shrugged it off as windows/ driver issues. No other issues before since I upgraded my CPU,RAM and Motherboard last year.

SPECS:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Galax GTX 1060 6Gb
RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance (down-clocked to 2666MHz)
MOBO: B450 Aorus Elite V2
PSU: Seasonic SII 512W

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
After it turns itself on, type in command prompt:
powercfg –lastwake
This will tell you what woke up the computer.
Let us know what it says. Are your graphic card drivers up to date? Did you install them, or do you let it use the windows provided drivers?

It doesn't boot to windows. It just turns on for 4-5 seconds. then shuts off and on again. nothing even comes up on the screen. Last time I updated the grpahics card drivers was 5 months ago. Installed from Nvidia geforce app

UPDATE: I managed to turn on the pc. I had previously switched off the PSU to stop the power loop. I tried again now and surprisingly it didnt immediately power up until I pressed the button. I am now in windows.

Last edited:
If you can get into windows, try updating your graphics driver. Also try this to keep the pc from starting on its own-
  • Type System on the Search bar.
  • When it appears, click to launch.
  • On the left, select Advanced system settings > Advanced tab
  • Click on Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  • Uncheck mark on Automatically Restart and click on OK
What type of drive do you use hd, ssd?