• Case: Define Meshify
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Skylake 4.3 GHz
  • NZXT Kraken x42
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
  • Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING M5
  • Graphic: GTX 1080ti EVGA SC2
  • Corsair power supply 650w
Now I have a very weird problem.
Most of the time when I play FPS games like Apex legends, Call of Duty or CS:GO I have a delay/lag every couple of seconds which completely ruins the game, I was playaing csgo back in the day untill it started happening, recently it happened to apex now after playing cod for couple of weeks fine the same issue started to happen there, I am uploading video to youtube for refernce as to what kind of lags i mean. Now i have been wathcing my gpu and cpu temperetaures which are completely fine when gaming, also my ping and internet speeds are up to the task 100mb/s download and 9mb/s upload on average with 25 ping. I am very lost as to what could cause this. Recently Call of Duty started to crash, i get a black screen which may occassionally turn my monitor off and lead to CoD as well as blizzard stop working.
Any help please..

Solution
Yes im running one monitor at full hd 60hz and 1440p at 144hz.
That's the source of the problem. It's a driver de-synchronization issue caused by multi-montior setups containing different native refresh rates.
"By having the full 144hz enabled off the same GPU that is also outputting to the 60hz monitor, the frame buffers are out of sync, causing the GPU to need more power, and thus raise the temperature while it's under this load (while it's supposed to be idle)."

There's a few fixes for that if you want to maintain the dual monitor setup.
1)Leave the 144hz monitor plugged into the 1080Ti, and plug the 60hz into the motherboard; it'll run off the 6700K's Igpu - if you've disabled that, it can be re-enabled in bios.
2)Replace...

OnY1337

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
Yes im running one monitor at full hd 60hz and 1440p at 144hz. I have used adcleaner found 2 items, cleaned them up, system scan found nothing. Issue is still the same

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes im running one monitor at full hd 60hz and 1440p at 144hz.
That's the source of the problem. It's a driver de-synchronization issue caused by multi-montior setups containing different native refresh rates.
"By having the full 144hz enabled off the same GPU that is also outputting to the 60hz monitor, the frame buffers are out of sync, causing the GPU to need more power, and thus raise the temperature while it's under this load (while it's supposed to be idle)."

There's a few fixes for that if you want to maintain the dual monitor setup.
1)Leave the 144hz monitor plugged into the 1080Ti, and plug the 60hz into the motherboard; it'll run off the 6700K's Igpu - if you've disabled that, it can be re-enabled in bios.
2)Replace the 60hz monitor with another 144hz - resolution doesn't matter.
3)Set your refresh rate of your 144hz monitor to 120hz - this then allows synchronization in framebuffers(60 into 120), and you will get idle clock speeds and usage.

Solution

OnY1337

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
Oh so you want to tell me I just changed my entire system for no reason? Well I guess any reason to upgrade is a good reason, I have just bought RTX 2070 Super and Ryzen 9 3900x, im waiting for them to arrive i will test it once it's here. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh so you want to tell me I just changed my entire system for no reason?
No?
2070 Super and 1080Ti are pretty similar in performance. Did something happen to the 1080Ti?

Since the 3900X doesn't have an Igpu, it simply means you can't do the first fix I listed. You can still do #3.

If you upgraded because of the performance issues when the solution was something much simpler...

I'm sorry.

WildCard999

Titan
Well I guess any reason to upgrade is a good reason, I have just bought RTX 2070 Super and Ryzen 9 3900x, im waiting for them to arrive i will test it once it's here. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks
You are aware that with the motherboard being changed it will require a clean (fresh) install of Windows right? And with that you'll need to reinstall all of your drivers, games & other software correct?

While the CPU is better going from the 1080 ti to the 2070 Super is more of a sidegrade then actual upgrade.

Last edited:

OnY1337

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
I am aware of reinstallig my entire system, im fine with that, i was due an upgrade of cpu anyway, i wanted something better for content creation not just gaming, where 3900x will fill that role. I am also aware that rtx 2070 super is pretty much the same thing as 1080ti, but i just wanted a new system. I got the RTX 2070 Super Gigabyte OC, Ryzen 9 3900x, better ddr4 3600mhz and new motherboard too, the x570 asus tuf edition. That cpu should last me for years to come, i can just add more ram or change gpu if needed.
I am not saying it was you who prompted me to get a new system, it was my choice as I was tired of having issues with my existing system and wanted a better cpu that could handle e.g. playing and streaming at the same time.

I did think the lag issue will be more complicated than it actually was, but i was due an upgrade anyway :D