Weird phenomenon : computer only boot if I plug-in a specific USB device while pressing the power button, once in 10~20 tries

Jan 11, 2019
Hello,

I've got my hands on a very, very weird issue. I spent months trying everything, and google had literally 0 similar problem to help me.

To summarize, it's a computer I built myself 5 years ago. Since last year, pressing POWER doesn't boot the computer. There is still electrity since all the internal leds etc. are on.

After plugging everything out and in, I noticed one very specific way of turning on the computer :

1. I unplug my USB audio interface (scarlet 2i2), I press power button
Right now nothing is happening
2. I plug the device back in, then the computer boot by itself the very second I do that.
3. However with time, it started to work less and less, and recently I need to fiddle with the usb plug for at least 2min until it finally boot.

I replaced the motherboard battery and honnestly at this point I'm only left with replacing the power supply or motherboard, but that's quite a burden, and it may not resolve the issue, so I'm hoping some people maybe could have an idea. If I ever lose my usb audio interface, I will have no way to boot my computer since only this very device do the trick for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

Ps : I run a CPU i7 2600K 3.4 GHz+ 8Go RAM DDR3 + Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 + 2 SSD (256Go & 1to) + 2 DD 7200Tr/min (1To & 2to), CoolerMaster HAF 932 Adv case + ASUS p8z77-v motherboard. Dual boot with w7 & ubuntu. Corsaire ax650 gold PSU.

Feb 27, 2019
Is it plugged into the front usb ports or is it on the usb plugs in the back? The reason I ask is it does indeed sound like a electrical short on the usb ports. If it is because of the front side USB ports then all you should have to do is unhook the front side usb and your computer should boot fine. I would give that a try.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS