[SOLVED] Weird Ping spikes every 2 weeks

Jan 4, 2019
Hi. I have tried to find solution to my problem everywhere, but I cant find anyone with the similiar problem. I have ping spikes (or lag spikes?) like every 15 seconds. I play CS:GO mostly and it is pretty much unplayable. The spikes can also be seen in command prompt with "ping google.com -t" command, every 15 seconds or so, ping jumps to 400-600 ms. The biggest problem, however, is that my computer does this for 2 weeks, then everything comes back to normal, and then it starts again for 2 weeks until it eventually comes back to normal again. There is no difference if I am connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, it occurs on either of them. I dont know what to do, I cant find anything on the Internet that would be similiar to this and I dont know what causes this. I would be really happy if you could come up with any ideas so I dont have to reinstall Windows. Thank you very much and have a nice day :)

Solution
Make sure you always test from ethernet. Wifi can get strange stuff like that...could be someone driving by with one of those fancy cars that have wifi hotspots and interfering.

The first thing you want to do is leave constant ping run to your router IP. This is to eliminate your PC or router as being the cause. It is very uncommon to get large ping spikes inside your house when you are using ethernet cable.

If that is fine your next step is to run tracert to 8.8.8.8 or whatever. You then leave constant ping run to each hop working out. Hop2 is the connection between your house and the ISP in most cases. In a way this is where you hope to see the problem because it is simplest to get fixed by the ISP. Otherwise you...
Make sure you always test from ethernet. Wifi can get strange stuff like that...could be someone driving by with one of those fancy cars that have wifi hotspots and interfering.

The first thing you want to do is leave constant ping run to your router IP. This is to eliminate your PC or router as being the cause. It is very uncommon to get large ping spikes inside your house when you are using ethernet cable.

If that is fine your next step is to run tracert to 8.8.8.8 or whatever. You then leave constant ping run to each hop working out. Hop2 is the connection between your house and the ISP in most cases. In a way this is where you hope to see the problem because it is simplest to get fixed by the ISP. Otherwise you continue until you find the first hop that exhibits the problem when previous hops are good.

Solution
Jan 4, 2019

As I already said, these ping spikes occur on Ethernet as well... only difference is, of course, that on wifi it jumps from ~40 ms to 200-600, while on Ethernet it is from ~10 to 150-450.