Question Weird plastic smell

Aug 20, 2019
Hello everyone, I really need your help, 2 months ago I changed my generic power supply because of this weird burnt plastic like smell to a Thermaltake one, and I'm having the same problem again, my pc is alright, it doesn't slow down and doesn't turn off, everything is normal except that.
My specs:
GTX 1050ti
FX 6300
Thermaltake 500w (I think the model is SP-500AH2NKW)
I don't know why this happens, I turn it off every night because of what happened with the other power supply but it still happened
Heelp

Hello everyone, I really need your help, 2 months ago I changed my generic power supply because of this weird burnt plastic like smell to a Thermaltake one, and I'm having the same problem again, my pc is alright, it doesn't slow down and doesn't turn off, everything is normal except that.
My specs:
GTX 1050ti
FX 6300
Thermaltake 500w (I think the model is SP-500AH2NKW)
I don't know why this happens, I turn it off every night because of what happened with the other power supply but it still happened
Heelp

Get a good quality PSU and you won't have that problem.

While I agree with others here that the PSU you are using is absolutely horrible and should be returned to wherever you bought it from,... the smell is normal from even a decent PSU.

I've literally posted this three times in the past two months in these forums:

Electronics, especally PSUs, can emit a number of different smells.

When they wave solder a PSU, there is flux used to help remove and prevent oxidation and improves the viscosity of the solder. This flux leaves a residue on the PCB that can be cleaned off, but it's almost impossible to clean it all off without damaging some SMT. When the PSU is run, and it gets hot, this flux heats up and emits a smell (smells like burnt plastic). Eventually, all of the flux is burned off and the smell goes away. But it takes time.

On that same subject....

There is "no-clean flux" out there, but it's not commonly used because it costs twice as much. FYI: If you've had electronics that smell "fruity", that's because they use no-clean flux.

And FYI: If you have electronics that smell like isopropyl alcohol, that's because they used the alcohol to clean the flux.