[SOLVED] Weird power issue on my desktop PC ?

Apr 17, 2022
Hey guys, I hope you all doing well.

I need some help with my desktop. For about 2 weeks now my system will randomly lose power so my screens, keyboard and mouse will switch off but my the case fans and the CPU fan will stay on when this happens the power button and reset button on the case do not work either. On my motherboard it has those quick diagnostic lights and when this happens the CPU light comes on.

Pc Specs
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G( bought in February 2018)
MSI A320M Pro-VD plus motherboard
Crucial balistix RAM 2666mhz( 4gb + 8gb)
240gb SSD Netac and a 2TB HDD.
Cooler master Elite 500v4 PSU( less than a year old)
Gigabyte gtx 970 oc
Raidmax Vortex V4 404 Case
Windows 11 64 bit

All drivers are up to date

Everything is still running at its factory defaults, I haven't overclocked it.

I initially thought it may have something to do with heat in the case as it see still has the stock cooler and the case itself is not the biggest so I pulled off the side panel but it doesn't seem to help. Without the Gigabyte GPU and just the onboard graphics I don't have this issue it runs fine. I even ran a stress test without the gpu, the temps got up to 60 degrees Celsius but it never switched off. When it does run with the gpu the temps are just below 60

When I put the gpu back in and booted up it ran fine for the first boot, I had the computer on for about 12 hours and I had gamed for about 6 hours, it never switched off.

The next day when I booted up again it ran for 2 hours and then the issue happened again. Sometimes it happens as a game is loading or while in gameplay and other times it can be while it's idling/ updating/ moving files between my hard drive.

I'm really confused now because my motherboard is telling me it's the CPU but to me it's looking more like a gpu issue.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated before I start buying new parts and thank you in advance

Solution
Without the Gigabyte GPU and just the onboard graphics I don't have this issue it runs fine.

What you have, is crap quality PSU, which can't keep powering your 150W GPU. Hence why the PC shuts down.

Here, i'd replace the PSU ASAP, since there is a high chance, at every such sudden power down, that PSU goes sky high, and if it does, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to.

If you want 2nd opinion regarding how bad your PSU is, here is a PSU Tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Hint: look for your PSU under Tier E.

That being said, good quality PSU to go...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Without the Gigabyte GPU and just the onboard graphics I don't have this issue it runs fine.

What you have, is crap quality PSU, which can't keep powering your 150W GPU. Hence why the PC shuts down.

Here, i'd replace the PSU ASAP, since there is a high chance, at every such sudden power down, that PSU goes sky high, and if it does, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to.

link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

That being said, good quality PSU to go for, are Seasonic Focus+ or PRIME series, in 550W range. Or if you prefer Corsair, then: RM, RMi, RMx, HX, HXi, AX and AXi series.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Reactions: karayusuf742
Solution
Apr 17, 2022

That being said, good quality PSU to go for, are Seasonic Focus+ or PRIME series, in 550W range. Or if you prefer Corsair, then: RM, RMi, RMx, HX, HXi, AX and AXi series.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Thank you for this. I haven't really touched the pc since I posted this until today.

I decided to do my last bit tampering with it before I replaced the PSU.

I pulled out the gpu and tried using it with the onboard graphics but it still did the same thing. My reasoning for this was maybe without the gpu it wouldn't take that much out of the PSU and it'll stay on but it still did the same thing.

So I then swapped the PSU with an older power supply that I had in my setup before I put the gpu in and booted up without the gpu and it still switched off.

I think the cooler master psu may have already done damage to my other components

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
my system will randomly lose power so my screens, keyboard and mouse will switch off but my the case fans and the CPU fan will stay on when this happens the power button and reset button on the case do not work either.
I put the gpu in and booted up without the gpu and it still switched off.

Here, you describe two different issues:
  1. Could be GPU issue, since you'll loose signal to your monitor. <- in this case, and since you were able to boot into OS; CPU, RAM and MoBo are fine.
  2. Could be CPU, MoBo or RAM issue. <- if build doesn't boot to OS, that is.

Now, both of these issues, initially, can be caused by a poor PSU. Which, may have damaged your GPU at first (screen goes black issues) but which also ended up frying more components (PC won't stay on).

I think the cooler master psu may have already done damage to my other components

And here, we have a very good reason, why not to cheap out on PSU, ever. That is, unless you have funds and time to buy essentially another PC.

PSU is the most important component inside the PC, since it powers everything. And here, without you not even to able to boot into OS, you can essentially consider that everything that was connected to that PSU, are dead.
To know exactly which components survived and which didn't, you'd need 2nd, compatible PC, where to test out your components, one by one.