Question Weird power-on issue with new computer ?

qwerty123z

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hi. I have the following system:
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D
Motherboard: ASRock X670E PG Lightning
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X
SSD: Mushkin Reactor 1TB
PSU: Gigabyte Aorus 850w

I have a issue where sometimes my PC won't turn on.
When I press the power button, things would light up for less then a second and then it turns off. Sequential presses on the power button doesn't do anything.
Turning the PSU off and then back on repeats the above process.

I was able to get my PC to turn back on by removing the CMOS battery and waiting 10 mins with the PSU unplugged. Sometimes this doesn't work though and it goes back to the behavior I described above. In that case I was able to get it to turn back on by just turning the PSU switch off and back on, followed by pressing the power button.

I currently reusing my old GPU and SSD, so I think those are unrelated (planning to upgrade those too).
This happened on the BIOS my motherboard came with v1.01 and I'm seeing the same behavior after updating to the latest BIOS (v1.18).
BIOS settings are the defaults.

• I just ran a windows memory diagnostic and sfc scan. Both say there was no problem detected.
  • I ran a stress test on my CPU and RAM using OCCT for 30mins and things seem fine. The temperature was hovering around 60°C.
  • I also disassembled and reassembled entire build.
  • Changed outlet/power strip (1800 watt rating) plugging into my wall.

Feels strange for it to sometimes work and sometimes not.
Any ideas what might be causing this issue? short-circuit somewhere? motherboard/PSU issue?

qwerty123z

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
is this windows 10? Try turning this off and see if it makes any difference - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

it could be the PSU if it works after you use the switch on PSU. I wonder who makes them for Gigabyte
I did have the issue on Windows 10, but I upgraded to Windows 11 two days ago. I just disabled fast startup, so I guess I'll have to wait now to see if this issue pops up again.

Edit 1: Turning off fast startup didn't help. I did find out that I was able to get my PC to turn on by pressing the power button and if it immediately shuts off I quickly power cycle the PSU using the switch. Pressing the power button afterwards seems to turn it on then.

Edit 2: Seems like the issue was the Gigabyte PSU. I put back my old PSU and I haven't seen any issues since then.

Last edited: