vvilltaylor

Honorable
Jan 30, 2015
My setup:
-GTX970
-i5-4590k
-Samsung SDD
-Evga bronze 600W

TLDR; Playing CoD makes my computer cause a power outtage (flipped breaker) for my room and floor of the house. Tried things, keeps happening. Thoughts on what the cause is or how I can stop this?

A recent weird thing has been happening - whenever I'm playing the latest Call of Duty, my power will randomly go out for my whole floor of the house. This happens at random events in the game, but never in menus. I get 60fps in menus, and typically the game runs smooth (playing on just below average settings). This also did not happen during the campaign, and has only ever happened during certain cutscenes when playing Borderlands 3.

What I've tried:
  • using a different plug
  • unplugging things in the room
  • trying different power cords
  • keeping my computer off for a while (vs always having it idle or running)
  • reducing graphical demands from the game
  • cleaned my psu (and other components) of debris/dust

I thought my machine just couldn't handle it... but it fits minimum requirements. I just purchased a new PSU and hope that helps... because I don't have reason to believe it would be the GPU or CPU causing this. Otherwise, it would just shut itself off... but it is sending some kind of surge to flip the breaker. For context, I have 2 monitors, a TV, a sound system, a light or two, and a charger or two, all plugged in (across multiple power cords). I have, however, tried only having the PC plugged in and it still happens.

Solution
I just purchased a new PSU and hope that helps... because I don't have reason to believe it would be the GPU or CPU causing this.

Have you recieved the new PSU yet, and did you try using it with the computer which is currently causing the breakers to switch off? I'm not completely sure when reading your post, if the same thing happens with the new PSU you purchased, or if you haven't even recieved the new unit yet.

It is an indication of a serious malfunction in your PC which I think should probably be taken quite seriously.

If the electrical wiring in the house is otherwise in good condition, and the fuse used is certified for the correct number of Ampere for the circuit it services, then it seems that the PC is likely at...
I just purchased a new PSU and hope that helps... because I don't have reason to believe it would be the GPU or CPU causing this.

Have you recieved the new PSU yet, and did you try using it with the computer which is currently causing the breakers to switch off? I'm not completely sure when reading your post, if the same thing happens with the new PSU you purchased, or if you haven't even recieved the new unit yet.

It is an indication of a serious malfunction in your PC which I think should probably be taken quite seriously.

If the electrical wiring in the house is otherwise in good condition, and the fuse used is certified for the correct number of Ampere for the circuit it services, then it seems that the PC is likely at fault. It sounds like you have a lot of things connected to a few wall outlets, which is a potential problem and usually advised against, but it also sounds like you have tried using only the PC, and it still happens

Like you did yourself, I personally suspect the PSU as the most likely cause of the problem, but damaged wires causing shorts in the PC is also a possibility.

Under any circumstances, when you are experiencing that kind of electrical malfunctions, you should be very careful if you decide to continue using your computer, but personally I would recommend to completely avoid powering it on at all, until the problem is identified and dealt with in the correct way.

Not only to protect your house for a potential fire hazard, but also to avoid causing additional and unnecesssary damage to other hardware components in your PC.

Unfortunately, in a worst case scenario, the PSU is the one component which is capable of causing significant and permanent damage to the entire PC when it finally fails. Some are lucky and only the PSU fails, but some are not and it can become very expensive if it all goes completely wrong.
- And in addition to that, in this case it actually causes safety measures on the house's electrical wiring to activate

So if the building has fully working and safe electrical wiring, and the fault doesn't lie with an incorrect fuse or similar, then I would be extremely cautious when using the PC, but preferably don't use it at all for safety reasons, until the problem is rectified

Last edited:
Solution