Weird problem nvidia

Apr 30, 2018
Greetings fellow geeks,

I have a problem with my GPU but let me first start out by stating my hardware.

Cpu: intel core i7-7700 socket 1151
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX1060 G1 gaming G1 6gb
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PLUS
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR4-2133 kit
Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB SSD
PSU: Sharkoon WPM700 Bronze 700W

The rest isnt that important.

So i've had this desktop for a while now (i think a little over a year) and everything was working perfect.

But then out of nowhere i suddenly got a black screen while watching youtube, followed my GPU fan going nuts.

I turned off my pc, tried turning it on again and nothing...

My pc went on and everything seemed to work fine but i didnt receive any signal from my GPU, no matter if i used hdmi or dvi.

I then plugged in a DVI cable directly into my motherboard.
Using my intel integrated graphics i booted up and went into safemode.

My GTX card didn't even show in device manager. So at this point i was flipping and thinking to myself "shit, did my GPU just rlly malfunction or something?"

I then searched around a while and decided to use the guru3d nvidia uninstaller to completely remove my nvidia drivers and all components.

Everything seemed fine after installing old drivers but then after about half an hour it HAPPENED AGAIN.

Since i have windows 10 (and i know how much it loves to update everything automatically...) i decided to go into system control panel > advanced settings > hardware and turned off automatic driver updates.

I then rebooted and still nothing...
So i decided to run guru3d again but this time selecting the "shut down and install new GPU" option.

I let it shut down and then pulled out my GPU. I changed the PSU to VGA cable just to be sure and then popped everything back in.

AND IT FINALLY BOOTED.

My GPU finally worked again and my pc booted up. I then downloaded some old nvidia drivers and did a advanced installation and unticked "install geforce experience" (since i was afraid it might automatically install things just like windows10)

Its been a couple hours now and i have had no problems yet. I wonder if this was a driver issue.

I got the idea that my windows was corrupted at first.
But a sfc /scannow command gave me no issues, same for repair mode through installation media.
So it must've been the nvidia drivers coupled with the sneaky background updating of windows 10 i believe.

If i look at the history of updates i could see the new nvidia driver being installed 2 times!

I hope i'm safe now QQ

Will keep you guys updated if the problem resurfaces

Greetings,
Alexander

Apr 30, 2018
Edit: i was away for a while and came back and started my pc and again i boot, and black screen.

I turned of my psu and removed the cable.
Then i plugged it back in and turned on the psu again.

Then i started the pc again and it booted up normally.

Could this be a PSU problem rather than a GPU problem?