Weird problem on windows 10 reinstallation

PRATZiLLA27

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
I'm facing a very weird problem with my windows 10 reinstallation. I created a bootable USB drive using the windows media creation tool but upon installing it said that the partition was in mdr format and thus I needed to get gpt to install. Then I plugged the drive into another PC and with the Aoemi partition tool converted it from MDR to GPT but now it said that it cannot proceed because the drive is in GPT format. I have changed the bios settings from uefi to legacy but it still does not work. Please help.

P.S. my motherboard is gigabyte H110M-s2 (LGA1151) and I have a WD 1tb HDD

Solution
MBR = Master Boot record. its the format all version of windows used until win 8 64bit version.
GPT - GUID (Guid = Global Unique Id) Partition Table. Its a new hdd format designed to fix some of MBR shortcomings

MBR can only have 4 partitions on a hdd, GPT can have 128
MBR can only use hdd up to 2 TB ion size, GPT can use drives that don't exist yet (up to 18.8 million TB) - this is main reason new PC use it as drives easily bigger than 2 tb these days

Simple answer is delete all partitions on HDD and click next
1st install you had UEFI as boot method
2nd time you had legacy and it can't use GPT

more explaining
GPT format matches UEFI
MBR matches Legacy

UEFI systems can boot MBR but if win 10 sees a UEFI bios it will insist on...

Colif

Win 11 Master
MBR = Master Boot record. its the format all version of windows used until win 8 64bit version.
GPT - GUID (Guid = Global Unique Id) Partition Table. Its a new hdd format designed to fix some of MBR shortcomings

MBR can only have 4 partitions on a hdd, GPT can have 128
MBR can only use hdd up to 2 TB ion size, GPT can use drives that don't exist yet (up to 18.8 million TB) - this is main reason new PC use it as drives easily bigger than 2 tb these days

Simple answer is delete all partitions on HDD and click next
1st install you had UEFI as boot method
2nd time you had legacy and it can't use GPT

more explaining
GPT format matches UEFI
MBR matches Legacy

UEFI systems can boot MBR but if win 10 sees a UEFI bios it will insist on using GPT
Legacy was made before GPT existed and can't boot it at all, or install onto it.

I would decide which format you want drives and when you get to stage of install asking where to put win 10, delete all the partitions and click next, Win 10 will recreate them for itself. and continue install.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS