[SOLVED] Weird problem while setting static ip

Oct 19, 2019
Hi, I recently got a Cisco RV042G router and managed to set it up. Recently, however, I got the opportunity to get an static ip from my ISP, but was unable to set it ip by myself. I put the new ip, the DNSs, subnet masks and default gateway in both my pc and router settings, yet I’m still unable to connect to the internet. I’m sorry if there is something I might have missed, but does anybody know what could cause the problem?

Solution
You should only put the static IP into the router. Your PC will continue to DHCP from the router. Set your PC back to DHCP for everything. If necessary, factory reset the router and start over.
Sep 28, 2019
As mentioned @kanewolf, no need to set the ip for pc. Also mind, some ISP will set the static ip even if your modem set as dynamic.
Also note, many modems block incoming connections by default, so you may need to disable firewall/SPI in order to allow incoming connection to modem. Next step is forwarding the request to a local node/pc. Now here you'd better set an local static ip for your PC to make sure you always have the target service/node with a same ip.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: tomasgerbi
Oct 23, 2019
Hi, I recently got a Cisco RV042G router and managed to set it up. Recently, however, I got the opportunity to get an static ip from my ISP, but was unable to set it ip by myself. I put the new ip, the DNSs, subnet masks and default gateway in both my pc and router settings, yet I’m still unable to connect to the internet. I’m sorry if there is something I might have missed, but does anybody know what could cause the problem?
No need to set static ip in ur system.. just click check box obtain ip automatically that's solve.. U need to check ur private IP.. Open cmd & type ipconfig..

Last edited: