Mar 29, 2021
hello
let's start from the beginning I have pc with the following specs :
i3 8100
gtx 1660 super
tuf b360 plus gaming
aero cool KCAS 800 w PSU
16 GB ram
so I decided to upgrade the CPU and I bought the I7 9700f. After 3 days the pc starts to restart when I play games or when I do benchmarks ( only with Intel extreme Tuning utility benchmark), then I start to troubleshoot the problem first I thought the problem was from the stock CPU cooler because the temperatures were too high so I upgrade it with cooler master hyper 212. but the problem still there. Also, the PSU starts to make electric buzz noise on stress or without stress.
after upgrading the cooler the temperatures return to normal but the PSU still making the buzz noises so I think the problem is from the PSU.
But I really can't tell if the problem is from the CPU or the PSU because when I brought back the i3 8100 everything become perfect the PSU buzz noises disappeared and the PC didn't restart once.
what should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 11, 2021
I'd say replace your PSU. Judging by your previous specs, it was probably a lower-wattage PSU. However, that PSU might not have been able to handle the new I7. The strange buzzing noises could also be a sign of a failing PSU. TL: DR, Replace your PSU with something in the 650-800W range (I'd recommend a 750w unit). While this wattage may be a lot more than you need, it'll allow for more upgradability and give you more room for power spikes.

Reactions: yzy

yzy

Mar 29, 2021
I'd say replace your PSU. Judging by your previous specs, it was probably a lower-wattage PSU. However, that PSU might not have been able to handle the new I7. The strange buzzing noises could also be a sign of a failing PSU. TL: DR, Replace your PSU with something in the 650-800W range (I'd recommend a 750w unit). While this wattage may be a lot more than you need, it'll allow for more upgradability and give you more room for power spikes.
my current PSU is 800w and couldn't handle the i7 -_-

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
my current PSU is 800w and couldn't handle the i7 -_-
If that thing can really output sustained 800W then I'm the Queen of the UK.
It was working -well- with the i3 because it's an entry level chip that doesn't requires a lot of wattage.

What I'm trying to say is that more wattage ≠ better quality, but don't worry, it's a common mistake when building a computer for the first time, you find units that promise a massive wattage for half the price of "known" brands and you say JACKPOT!, but when it comes to real life daily usage you realise you didn't hit any jackpot but got somewhat scammed instead. That kind of power supply is designed to work with low power components, an i3 like you had and no graphics card, it's possible that the 1660 already stressed the parts too much and now with the addition of a new, more powerful CPU it's starting to fail, when I say it's possible I mean it's 99% possible because I've seen it a ton of times and the symptoms are always the same: restarts and crashes then shutdowns until one day it doesn't turns on anymore.
Pretty sure an expert in power supplies -like JonnyGuru- can give you more technical details on why exactly a power supply like that is bad but those are pretty much the basics.

tl;dr? replace your power supply, I suggest you to take a look at the "PSU Tier List" here on the forum under the Power Supplies category, you should look for something in the 550-650W range, a CX650 from Corsair or an EVGA GS are great entry level PSUs but if you're looking for something sturdier or more reliable look into an RM650x from Corsair or a Focus GX from Seasonic.