Question Weird problem with mouse and bluetooth USB dongle

Aug 22, 2021
Hi,

I've got an Acer Aspire laptop, which has a battery that has gone bad and I have to keep it plugged in all the time.
Last night, a strange issue started to occur where the mouse started to not working - it has this LED colorful light lit up, but when you do actually move it, the red, bright light does not light up, so it doesn't work.

Even the Bluetooth USB dongle started not working - I had my headset connected, though it didn't disconnect, I just wasn't hearing any sound.

I tried to switch USB ports, although it works for just a few seconds, it again returns to that condition where it's lit up but does not move. Tried to restart the laptop, and was seeing if any recent driver update was performed, but to no avail. Right now, some seconds work, and some others not and the same applies to the Bluetooth USB dongle.

What's more interesting is that when I do unplug the charger both of the devices work flawlessly. I started to suspect it's a motherboard power supply problem or with the battery or maybe even the charger is not supplying enough power, don't know if the current goes first to the motherboard, then to the battery, or vice versa.

What do you suggest doing? Thanks!

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
1) Try taking out your laptop battery and turn on your laptop with charger connected and on. Your laptop should be able to turn on without battery so long as your charger is conencted.

2) Try reinstalling motherboard and port drivers.

Aug 22, 2021
1) Just did that. I'm running without a battery and the mouse seems to work fine for like 90% of the time but just in the other USB port on the left (there are two on the right, one on the left side). I will mount the battery again and see if it's the same issue - now my suspection is moving toward the USB hub ports hardware itself.

2) Which drivers, more specifically?

Thanks.

Aug 22, 2021
Update to 1) - yes I've just got the battery back in again and using the USB port on the left side, the mouse seems to work fine, at least till now.

If I'd plug the same mouse on the right side, the red light flickers and the mouse is not working consistently.