Weird problem with my memory?

OChardcore

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Well this is totally messed up lol. After a week of computer crashing BSOD's/ PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA / DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL( this one listed a problem with realtek, RtkHDAud.sys), and a few restarts with no BSOD.I have ran Memtest86+, always finds no errors even when ran overnight. Have ran ORTHOS set to torture cpu and ram, never a problem. Now brings me to the weird stuff, aggrivated to death and back I decided to try one last thing, The pc im working with Has 2x512 corsair xms2 ddr2 800 ram(bought a duel mem 1gig kit) I pulled one out and ran my pc gaming for 2 hours not a crash( ran game slow as heck but no crash) I then swapped the one left in the pc with the one i pulled, same deal no crash for approx 2 hours. Then im thinking wth I then popped both back in booted up started game as soon as game loaded and i started to play bam BSOD PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, So harray I now know its my ram but, what i wonder is this: Anyone else had this problem or even heard of something like this before? cause i know i have never heard anyone talking about a problem like this with ram? What could make it do this?

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I doubt I can help you, but my guess is anyone that can is going to ask what MB you have. What CPU are you using, OS, what slots the ram are in and probably more specific info on the ram (timings what type of chips or alternatively the exact model number).

Personally, I'd try the ram in another machine (borrow one if you must) and/or try other memory in your machine.

It sounds like it's a problem with your MB.

The one suggestion I'd try putting them in the other pair of slots (say 2/4 instead of 1/3).

Best of luck.

OChardcore

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Greeting :) thanks for the replies. Im using the ASUS P5N-E SLI MOBO, CPU is E6400, Antec smart power 2.0 PSU 500watt,The ram is Corsair xms2 ddr2 800 2x512(have tried 4-4-4-12@2.013v, and 5-5-5-15@1.9v both CMD 2, in ram slots 1,3 havnt tried 2,4 but think i will)VGA is Nvidia 7600gt 256mb ddr3 EVGA brand, All temps are running ok 43c cpu load, 36 MOBO load,GPU 72-74 full load. Nothing is overclocked but the GPU is at 602/752 from 560/700 stock.Windows is fully updated, so is BIOS and MOBO.

Thanks again guys

btw will 3d mark 05 work i have it allready full version of the pro edition?

Ill try that memtest u pointed me to. The memetest i have been using is memtest86+ from a bootable disk.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
2006 will stress that overclocked 7600 and point out errors that 2005 will not.
Also make sure you have the latest Direct X drivers.
You’ll be surprised how this can affect gaming and resolve issues
If you run into errors with memtest for windows you can raise your Ram voltages to near 2.1 volts but lowering OC on the 7600 might be your first step .
Your power supply is on the edge with newer cards but may be just fine with the evga 7600GS

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
My experience says your PSU isn't pushing enough juice. The video card under load is pulling too much wattage, and the rest of the system isn't getting enough power, namely the RAM. I know its an Antec smart power PSU, but you can't rule that out, as even the best manufacturers make defective products sometimes.

It also sounds quite weird, but I read a thread a while back where a guy was having problems with his ASUS board and he had an Antec PSU. Turns out (as per what ASUS told him) that there was an incompatibility between the two. Don't ask me why this would be, but it may be just that. If you have another PSU lying around, I'd test it with that as well. Getting on the horn with either of the companies will be productive as well, I would think, time consuming as it may be.

Of course, this is assuming that you ran 3Dmark and still had the problems...

OChardcore

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks again For all the great replies! :)

Ok I now have some new info regarding. I went into BIOS and confirmed i had the mem specs entered which are 5-5-5-15@1.92v CMD 2. I download memtest 3.5 ran it and got 4 errors before it even hit 5% then almost at 10% crashed to the infamous BSOD, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.I then shut down removed power plug, switched ram from 1,3 to 2,4 started up and ran memtest 3.5 this time got to 15% no error, I then started Stronghold 2 and played for quite some time no crash. I shut down the game and checked memtest 3.5 and was at 300% coverage no errors. What can u make of this, Im thinking MOBO since the test failed on 1,3 and was fine on 2,4. Sure the pc ran slow as heck when i had them in 2,4 but i was playing stronghold 2 at full setting all the while doing so. Thanks again guys, your help is very much appreciated.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Keep in mind that you must disable Legacy USB Support in the bios to run Memtest on ASUS MOBOs. The ASUS boards have a conflict with Memtest with this setting enabled so, for the testing to run properly, you must disable it.

What bios do you have? I heard some of the early boards had trouble with 1 or the other pairs of RAM slots. But, I'm not sure if bios resolved it or not.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Keep in mind that you must disable Legacy USB Support in the bios to run Memtest on ASUS MOBOs. The ASUS boards have a conflict with Memtest with this setting enabled so, for the testing to run properly, you must disable it.

What bios do you have? I heard some of the early boards had trouble with 1 or the other pairs of RAM slots. But, I'm not sure if bios resolved it or not.

I heard that some DFI boards performed better if the ram was in certain slots, so maybe it was an AMD or Nvidia issue.

OChardcore

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Well Contacted ASUS this morning, allthough I had to be on hold what seemed like eternity, They confirmed its is my MOBO, and it is now shipped, on its way back as we speak :)

Thanks for all the great replies u guys are awsome :)