Question Weird problem with new PC - Not booting half of the time?

Mar 3, 2023
I've posted this to Reddit but I've made an account to ask here since I could use all the help I could get trying to figure out this problem.
So I've just built a new PC with an MSI X670-P Wifi board, Ryzen 9 7900X, and 4080. Two sticks of 16GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston Fury. I'm writing this on the new PC right now, but my problem lies with something very strange that's happening with it that is worrying me a lot.
When I shut my PC off, and try to start it up again, either directly, or through a windows restart or hibernation (I've tried all three), the PC dosen't display anything. It turns on, the fans and lights come on, but the keyboard and mouse remain unpowered. Here's the most important part that I can't seem to figure out the meaning of: The Ez Debug lights on the MSI board, the CPU light is Red and the DRAM light is orange. Now, the only thing I can think this would mean is the cpu is faulty or the ram is. But after waiting a few minutes to nothing on the no signal, I force turn the PC off, and give it a few seconds. Then I turn it back on, it turns on again with those 2 EZ debug lights on, but after about 30 seconds or so (the regular boot time for this motherboard) the lights go off and the PC boots as expected with the keyboard and mouse coming back on. I am then able to use the PC normally, as I am right now to type this, however if I were to shut it off, I would apparently need to turn it on once, wait a few minutes, then turn it off before it will actually boot again.
There can't be an issue with the CPU or the RAM or something because I have tried running Portal RTX and it runs perfectly as expected. Once the PC is actually booted everything runs fine. So my main suspect is this being something to do with the motherboard itself. Either it's faulty in some way that it can't boot properly half of the time or there is a setting or something, I don't know.
It's also worth nothing that this kind of happened during the initial phase as well, where it would work like half of the time. I don't even know how I managed to get windows 11 installed properly on it in this state. I really don't want to have to do this reset thing every time. Can anyone give me any idea as to what's going on here? I'm going to ask MSI support as well. Let's hope the board isn't faulty.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mar 3, 2023
Did you buy the memory in a 2 stick set as in one package.

Try removing one stick of memory.
Yes, it's 2 sticks of kingston fury. I haven't tried having just one in.

UPDATE
I have been messing with it a bit more and, I'm still not completely sure, but it seems that disabling the EXPO profile has made it so the PC now boots every time instead of only half the time, and it also boots quickly as opposed to taking around 30 seconds (The red and yellow ez debug lights still show up, but they turn off after like 2 seconds). So I'm only able to run my ram at 4800MHz but in exchange it seems to boot properly every time. I turned it off and on a few times as well as tried hibernating and both worked. I'm fine with only running my ram at 4800 if it means it can work this easy (that's still 1200Mhz faster than my current PC's DDR4) but I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this. I know that with the profile on it should take around 30 seconds or so to boot but I just don't understand the, never booting half of the time thing.
Something else to mention however, is that I can access the BIOS, and I can change settings in it, however upon clicking to save and exit, the BIOS just freezes and the green "BOOT" ez debug light turns on. It seems to be stuck there, since I tried leaving it for a few minutes and it was still frozen,
so I just turned it off and went back into the BIOS to see that my changes had still been saved. So the run down of my current situation is:
  1. I know about the 30 second or so boot time with XMP/EXPO on. I'm okay with that. My problem is this thing that's causing it to not boot at all half of the time or so.
  2. I can access and change settings in my BIOS, but it seems to freeze on trying to save and quit. I only tested this once though so I'm going to try it a few more times.
I was thinking that there might be some specific reason why it was only booting half of the time with the EXPO profile on, but this BIOS thing also has me wondering if maybe I've got a defective board. But if that was the case, surely it wouldn't be working as expected once actually booted into windows, right? I can even run intensive games and stuff and it works fine.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's 2 sticks of kingston fury. I haven't tried having just one in.

UPDATE
I have been messing with it a bit more and, I'm still not completely sure, but it seems that disabling the EXPO profile has made it so the PC now boots every time instead of only half the time, and it also boots quickly as opposed to taking around 30 seconds (The red and yellow ez debug lights still show up, but they turn off after like 2 seconds). So I'm only able to run my ram at 4800MHz but in exchange it seems to boot properly every time. I turned it off and on a few times as well as tried hibernating and both worked. I'm fine with only running my ram at 4800 if it means it can work this easy (that's still 1200Mhz faster than my current PC's DDR4) but I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this. I know that with the profile on it should take around 30 seconds or so to boot but I just don't understand the, never booting half of the time thing.
Something else to mention however, is that I can access the BIOS, and I can change settings in it, however upon clicking to save and exit, the BIOS just freezes and the green "BOOT" ez debug light turns on. It seems to be stuck there, since I tried leaving it for a few minutes and it was still frozen,
so I just turned it off and went back into the BIOS to see that my changes had still been saved. So the run down of my current situation is:
  1. I know about the 30 second or so boot time with XMP/EXPO on. I'm okay with that. My problem is this thing that's causing it to not boot at all half of the time or so.
  2. I can access and change settings in my BIOS, but it seems to freeze on trying to save and quit. I only tested this once though so I'm going to try it a few more times.
I was thinking that there might be some specific reason why it was only booting half of the time with the EXPO profile on, but this BIOS thing also has me wondering if maybe I've got a defective board. But if that was the case, surely it wouldn't be working as expected once actually booted into windows, right? I can even run intensive games and stuff and it works fine.
Still didn't answer this
Did you buy the memory in a 2 stick set as in one package. (or 2 individual sticks in separate packages)

TRENDING THREADS