[SOLVED] Weird problem with new PC ?

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I have a weird problem with my new pc. I turn it on and the fans spin and all rgb on fans, ram, cpu water block and distro plate light up but nothing else happens, no display and Windows appears not to load ?

Now if I turn it off and on again everything works great as it should do.
I think my old rubbish gpu could be the problem what do you think?

My specs are
MSI b550 mpg gaming plus with bios version 7C56v16
AMD Ryzen 5800x
2x Western Digital Blue SN550 M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Corsair rm850x psu
4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 )
Gigabyte GV-N210SL-1GI GeForce 210 Graphics Card (1GB, ATX, DVI-I, VGA HDMI) - I know old and rubbish but only using to test and setup my pc while I wait for rx6800xt cards to come back in stock.

Last edited:
Solution
Also my brother-in-law says maybe the gpu capacitors are not quite charged up by the time the bios wants to move ahead with booting up so the bios hangs.
Without properly study of the GPU PCB (circuit diagram) it's not possible to tell if that is a possible fault. Does your brother-in-law have that kind of expertise on that field ?
But - no, I don't think so, because (guess-work from my side):
  • The capacitors are most likely to be connected in parallell with main feeding voltage without any semiconductors between (direct on rail) - if there was semiconductors between, that would most likely introduce extra unwanted serie resistance to the capacitors and decrease their efficiency.
  • If there are introduced some...

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Before having an opinion on that old GPU, can you tell some of it's history - did it work in an older setup before, or have it being like this before as well ?

I bought it years ago just as a simple gpu for testing purposes so it's hardly been used but have tested it on a old asus motherboard with fx 6300 cpu and and it works fine.

Also my brother-in-law says maybe the gpu capacitors are not quite charged up by the time the bios wants to move ahead with booting up so the bios hangs. and they finish charging up and are good to go when I next reset. I've not herd of this but is it possible?

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
How do you turn on the power? PSU switch? Power button on case?

I think the card could be too old, no proper UEFI support. i think anything from 2013 and forward should have UEFI support, around that timeperiod. Could be the issue. Do you have another GPU to test? A newer one?

Last edited:
Reactions: rickypicky5

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
How do you turn on the power? PSU switch? Power button on case?

I think the card could be too old, no proper UEFI support. i think anything from 2013 and forward should have UEFI support, around that timeperiod. Could be the issue. Do you have another GPU to test? A newer one?
I turn on pc with Power button on case. And gpu came out in 2009 so might of got it around then. The geforce 210 does not support uefi which my motherboard is set to. So could that be the problem.

Last edited:
Also my brother-in-law says maybe the gpu capacitors are not quite charged up by the time the bios wants to move ahead with booting up so the bios hangs.
Without properly study of the GPU PCB (circuit diagram) it's not possible to tell if that is a possible fault. Does your brother-in-law have that kind of expertise on that field ?
But - no, I don't think so, because (guess-work from my side):
  • The capacitors are most likely to be connected in parallell with main feeding voltage without any semiconductors between (direct on rail) - if there was semiconductors between, that would most likely introduce extra unwanted serie resistance to the capacitors and decrease their efficiency.
  • If there are introduced some soft-charging mechanism for the capacitors that would imply the manufacturer are going to extreme steps in order to maximize it's life span - and I believe we all know GPU's of all things are not known to have very long life span, particular those made for gaming.

The geforce 210 does not support uefi which my motherboard is set to. So could that be the problem.
I don't know, haven't heard of that issue.

If that GPU have being stored for long time without being used, it cannot be ruled out that the capacitors are dried out by themselfs. Are you able to test the GPU on another computer ?

Solution

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I have an update now when i turn my pc on and it shows the logo screen and then goes black screen and not load windows 10 like it did before. Now this time I thought I would not turn it off and on again but leave it and see what happens and it rebooted by it's self and loaded windows fine.