pingone

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I've just assembled a new pc as follows:
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
Motherboard Asus P5B Deluxe
Ram Corsair DDR2 2x1gb Pc6400C4
Graphic card XFX GeForce 7900 GTX
Main hd WD Raptor WD740 (on Sata Port 1)
Archive hd Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb (on Sata Port 2, but I tried ALL the other ports too)
All of the drivers (mobo, controllers) are of course up to date, as the mobo bios.
Every time I reboot the system, the Raptor power turns off, then, as the bios starts, the disk powers up again and load the OS.
Any ideas on how can I solve this?

Thx

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Every time I reboot the system, the Raptor power turns off, then, as the bios starts, the disk powers up again and load the OS.

I'm a bit confused as to what exactly the problem is? Are you scared because for a brief second the hard drive doesnt have power?? You have got to be kidding me right now...

The OS loads fine, but you are complaining? All I can say is...unless you have an OS on your seagate or made a typo, then this is a waste of a topic.

pingone

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
It is not a brief second. The drive is totally off power (like when you turn off the PC); then, after 8/10 second. the drive starts again. In the meantime, the bios is freezed, waiting for the hd to start. I don't think this is normal, never seen in 15 years of PC

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
when a PC restarts it turns off power to the components only to turn them right back on.

the same thing is happening with your cd drives too. difference is the raptor takes 8/10 of a second to turn on. what you see when restarting should be no different than what occurs from a cold start, difference you may be noticing is because you don't get video right away with a cold restart whereas with a warm restart you get to sit there and watch it waiting so it will lead you to think something odd is going on.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Do you own a Raptor, Shaba? Raptors do not take that long to power up, and they certainly shouldn't hang up your BIOS for 8-10 seconds. Why would his drive power down like that anyway?

For the record, I had similar problems with my Raptor. My BIOS loaded fine and I was booting off the HD. The Raptor (and ONLY the Raptor) would power off shortly after the Windows loading screen appeared. It would immediately power back up, and then a few seconds later, Windows would recognize the drive is ready to go and continue loading Windows.

Since I already had a strange non-boot issue with a Dell never making it past the Windows loading screen with all its USB devices connected (a new PSU solved that problem), I slapped in a new highend PSU and some OCZ enhanced power leads (cables probably did squat). Problem vanished, and now my computer boots/reboots faster than any of my previous machines.

I have no idea if his problem is related. I've never had a drive do that before. But you shouldn't run around telling people it's normal for Raptors to hang up your BIOS like that, when clearly it is not.

I have a P5B Deluxe too (but no Raptors) and I noticed that on reboot it will cut power to the hard drives momentarily before restoring power. My last mobo didn't do this, but I think that the P5B is supposed to do this since I've seen many posts asking this same question. I don't notice this slight delay when doing a cold boot though.

Just to clarify, are you saying it hangs for 8/10 seconds (0.8 seconds) or 8-10 seconds? A fraction of a second extra only on warm reboots isn't that big a deal to me.

pingone

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
But you shouldn't run around telling people it's normal for Raptors to hang up your BIOS like that, when clearly it is not.

That's it Alex, I agree. Maybe my english isn't as good as it should be, but I think it is clear to everybody that a hd (especially a Raptor) should not behave this way.
For rwpritchett: I mean 8 or 10 seconds, of course, otherwise I don't think I could notice any difference. Anyway, I hope this is not a mobo "feature"; Asus never let me down, but this could be the first time...

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I've just assembled a new pc as follows:
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
Motherboard Asus P5B Deluxe
Ram Corsair DDR2 2x1gb Pc6400C4
Graphic card XFX GeForce 7900 GTX
Main hd WD Raptor WD740 (on Sata Port 1)
Archive hd Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb (on Sata Port 2, but I tried ALL the other ports too)
All of the drivers (mobo, controllers) are of course up to date, as the mobo bios.
Any ideas on how can I solve this?

Thx

I use the 36g raptor for my OS drive and also have the same MB that you have but have never had the issue that you describe. Only thing I can think of is to unplug your second hdd and all your optical drives to see if maybe your power supply is the issue. I would also clear the cmos to see if anything changes. Have you tried the raptor on another system?

pingone

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Thx[/quote]

I use the 36g raptor for my OS drive and also have the same MB that you have but have never had the issue that you describe. Only thing I can think of is to unplug your second hdd and all your optical drives to see if maybe your power supply is the issue. I would also clear the cmos to see if anything changes. Have you tried the raptor on another system?[/quote]

I don't think the PSU is the issue: 600 W is far far enough for a system like mine, and the brand (Tagan) is one of the best on the market. I did the tests you suggest, but nothing changes: next step is to swap the power plug I actually use on the Raptor with another one and check it out.
Imho the mobo bios could have something to do with that, or maybe the Sata port I use... anyway, I've heard of many people experimenting the same troubles... doesn't sound strange?

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
First of all...

i thought you meant .8 seconds hence why i said:

difference is the raptor takes 8/10 of a second to turn on.

Secondly yes i do own 2 74gb raptors

Finally here is what you need to do, in this order:

0. Flash your bios to ?1403? i believe it is (the most updated version)
1. Unplug all your optical drives power including your floppy
2. Test it, if it works, your psu is at fault, if it doesn't go to #3
3. Leave the power cables from step one removed and disconnect the power from the hard drive and use the other adapter (by this i mean if you are using the SATA power on the raptor, use the conventional 4 pin power adapter, and vice versa)
4. If that works plug in your optical drives and make sure everything is still working, if it doesn't..go to #5
5. Change the sata power adapter connected to the hard drive and test it

(sorry about the #0 but i forgot to add it in) let me know it goes