Question Weird problem...

Jun 11, 2019
CURRENT HARDWARE CONFIGURATION
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TpPVpG

I'll be sending this to both ASUS and ZOTAC because I'm not sure where the problem originates.
--------------------------------------------------------

As it is, my computer was working perfectly in the above configuration for several months after I built it. I build computers, and troubleshoot them for myself and others, so we're past the "Did you try unplugging and plugging it back in" phase. Recently, upon power up if the displayport cable from my monitor is plugged into the graphics card (regardless of slot used) boot time increases to nearly 5 minutes (from 5 seconds) and my secondary M.2 drive is not detected in BIOS or Windows.

Background: As far as I can tell all drivers are up to date for all components. There was never an action taken as far as I know (installing a component or program, changing BIOS) that started the issue. For the Motherboard I have cleared BIOS and started it over with no effect, as well as Windows and all programs. For the graphics card I have tried all displayport and HDMI slots, and tried plugging it into the second X16 slot in the MB, reinstalled it's related Windows hardware with no effect.

The issue CAN be bypassed but not in a way I would call good. If before boot I move the monitor cable from the graphics card to the motherboard's integrated graphics slot the computer will boot perfectly fine with none of the above issues. Then, with the computer powered up move the cable back to the graphics card, the computer will operate at full functionality.

I best describe this problem as "weird", and my solution obviously should not be long term.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Ralston18

Titan
New CMOS battery?

As a matter of elimination have you tried other known working monitors and monitor cables?

Look in the Event Viewer logs and in Reliability History/Manager - one of them may be capturing some relevant error code or warning.

Jun 11, 2019
In addition to previous attempts, I have now:
  1. Replaced CMOS battery
  2. Tried different DisplayPort cables, and HDMI
  3. Tried different monitors
Finally I borrowed a spare graphics card AND LO, the problem disappeared... time for an RMA on my Zotac 2080.

TRENDING THREADS