[SOLVED] Weird problems with new pc

Keco

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Okay so i just finished building PC for my friend and i installed Windows, did the drivers for Rx 580 and installed windows updates, did the XMP in bios.

For the context the build is Ryzen 3 3100, Rx 580 XFX GTS Black edition (used but never opened), 16gb ripjaws 3200, TX550m psu, 660p 512gb m.2 ssd and mobo is b450 ds3h and the monitor is hp25x connected via HDMI.

So we launched RUST which is pretty heavy game and got onto the server and it was working flawlessly in the game but i tried changing settings and it just like blackscreened and rust crashed but it did when changing settings this is very important. So i was confused im just gonna sum all the next problems fast.

Basically, i just started testing in other games like csgo and it became so weird because crashes were not the same. The blackscreens were showing when changing settings in rust or alt tabbing of the game, two or three times it restarted the pc and showed no signal and then booted up again in windows, two times it bluescreened and both times it showed like driver kind error. But the most weird ones were the artifacting on the screen.

The weird red dots all over the screen for few second or glitching on desktop wallpaper, or green dots when clicking something on browser randomly.

Now you are just going to say its probably GPU and im not saying it is not the gpu fault BUT the weirdest thing of them all was that IT NEVER CRASHED OR FREEZE when inside any game and just playing it without alt tabbing or changing settings.

I first thought it sure is the temp making this but msi afterburner and hwmonitor show for gpu to be working at 70c max on auto fans and with like 50 percent fans always it gets to maybe 65 which is insanely good because this gpu was working in internet caffe and termals were never changed, also its rx 580 which get pretty hot.

On the other hand CPU is pretty hot like almost 50 idle under small load like 20 percent it gets to like 60-65 and under full load it gets to 74 which is also weird because scaling of temp doesnt make sense. I needed to go home so i didnt resolve the problem but next time ill bring my gpu and try mine in his system and im gonna reinstall windows and drivers just to be sure also im gonna bring one more fan to put into case because there is only one exhaust but i would like to see other peoples opinion on this situation

. (EDIT: also i forgot to mention i did Heaven it passed and i did prime95 for like 15 minutes i worked aswell, and forgot to say there was one time it blackscreened when i was in csgo and alt tabbed went to browser and played youtube video - maybe RAM?)

[Moderator edit to break up "wall of text".

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
550 watts may indeed be enough for your system.

However, PSU wattage is established under ideal circumstances to get the value as high as possible while components are just the opposite. I.e., the manufacturers likewise establish component power requirements under ideal circumstances that results in low wattage numbers.

So if the PSU is able to only provide some given wattage that is real world (not quite 550 watts under load) and if the components are demanding a total wattage that is near or about 550 watts then there will be problems.

And even more so if the "new" PSU is defective in some manner. Or maybe (unknown to you or seller) refurbished and sold as new. Or even counterfeit.

Reminder: the PSU is not new - it was...

Ralston18

Titan
First:

"Rx 580 XFX GTS Black edition (used but never opened)".

Where did you get it - do you know its' history: e.g., heavy gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

Second:

How old is that 550 watt PSU? Is it new also?

Were you overclocking anything? If so, what?

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the crash times and other problems.

Keco

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
First:

"Rx 580 XFX GTS Black edition (used but never opened)".

Where did you get it - do you know its' history: e.g., heavy gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

Second:

How old is that 550 watt PSU? Is it new also?

Were you overclocking anything? If so, what?

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the crash times and other problems.
PSU is new and GPU is bought from random dude on Craig list type of site thats popular in my country and he was pretty trusted like 300 positive reviews and 0 negative, he said it was used for gaming only. Nothing is overclocked.

Ralston18

Titan
Symptoms suggest to me that the PSU is not able to keep up with the overall GPU/System power demands.

Either too much power is being demanded and/or the PSU (even if new) is defective in some matter.

Will likewise ask the question about the source of the PSU....

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Double check to ensure that all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place. Fans especially...

Any errors in Reliability History?

Numerous and varying errors are symptomatic of power problems.

Keco

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Symptoms suggest to me that the PSU is not able to keep up with the overall GPU/System power demands.

Either too much power is being demanded and/or the PSU (even if new) is defective in some matter.

Will likewise ask the question about the source of the PSU....

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Double check to ensure that all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place. Fans especially...

Any errors in Reliability History?

Numerous and varying errors are symptomatic of power problems.
PSU cannot be problem because 550w gold rated psu is enough for this system, defective it can be but its brand new, we checked for the errors and it shows alot of hardware errors like 50 of the same type and there was couple of radeon software errors.

Ralston18

Titan
550 watts may indeed be enough for your system.

However, PSU wattage is established under ideal circumstances to get the value as high as possible while components are just the opposite. I.e., the manufacturers likewise establish component power requirements under ideal circumstances that results in low wattage numbers.

So if the PSU is able to only provide some given wattage that is real world (not quite 550 watts under load) and if the components are demanding a total wattage that is near or about 550 watts then there will be problems.

And even more so if the "new" PSU is defective in some manner. Or maybe (unknown to you or seller) refurbished and sold as new. Or even counterfeit.

Reminder: the PSU is not new - it was used for gaming and who knows power levels were actually demanded by the original owner when games were played. Constant requirements for high wattage will accelerate the eventual EOL (End of Life) for a PSU.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, any out of spec voltages could be a clue.

=========

What are those 50 hardware errors?

Check both Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Are all the errors the same or varying errors? Be the errors hardware or software related.

You should be able to click any given error for more information.

The problem does not have to be the PSU.

Fair enough: I just do not believe, to date, that the PSU can be excluded.

Solution