Question Weird PSU buzzing noises and coil whine noises ?

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
I just got a new Super Flower Leadex III Gold PSU today, and it’s making this extremely loud noise. This is what it sounds like: https://www.mediafire.com/file/as7bv0092ghwpod/IMG_4014.MOV/file

It seems it goes away if the fan stops spinning. Is it probably just coil whine then, or is this a problem with my PSU? I had to get my first Leadex replaced, and it definitely never sounded like that; this seems abnormal then though that's a small sample size.

I'm a bit worried I broke something since my PSU slid off my desk while my cables were plugged in. So, the bottom of my PSU hit the side of my desk. It seems to be unharmed other than some scratches though it definitely damaged my desk a bit.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model information for old PSU?

Did you reuse any of the PSU cables from the old PSU with the new PSU?

The "fall":

Take a close and carefull look at the modular cable connectors and wires.

Could be cracked or otherwise damaged.

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model information for old PSU?

Did you reuse any of the PSU cables from the old PSU with the new PSU?

The "fall":

Take a close and carefull look at the modular cable connectors and wires.

Could be cracked or otherwise damaged.

Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CfHsGL

It is a Super Flower Leadex III Gold. I did not reuse any of the PSU cables from my old PSU; I had to return it for replacement, so I no longer have the old cables. As for the modular cable connectors and wires, I took a look at them, and they all seemed fine. I can send a short video of them. Do they all seem okay?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tUhhIHnqGLEqa-vyHhpE65pkKrSbx6Pu/view?usp=sharing

Ralston18

Titan
Just take a couple of photographs and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Probably not going to show or otherwise reveal much. If a problem is at all visible you probably would have already seen it.

As for "look at them" [cables, cards, etc.] that is understood but what must really be done (after powering down and unplugging) is to physically touch and wiggle them all.

Unplug and replug a few times until the connection clearly goes smoothly and firmly into place.

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
Just take a couple of photographs and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Probably not going to show or otherwise reveal much. If a problem is at all visible you probably would have already seen it.

As for "look at them" [cables, cards, etc.] that is understood but what must really be done (after powering down and unplugging) is to physically touch and wiggle them all.

Unplug and replug a few times until the connection clearly goes smoothly and firmly into place.

I took a video of it here: View: https://imgur.com/a/HiP1W8q

It seems it only happens in the case, so I suppose it’s a problem with one of my connectors or maybe the case itself. I will take it out again and send photos of the cables and all. I’ll test them more in that way too and unplug it and all. Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
System specs?

PSU wattage?

Video: Three immediate impressions:

1) Fan appears to be "slow". Not really sure but the fan does not seem to be up to speed. Could be the video.

2) Some PSU case screws appear to be torx head - replaceable fan? PSU's are generally not made to be repairable.

3) Dimpled fan blades? I am not aware of any advantages there. Likely creating more turbulence and thus noise. Resonates more when in the case.

Plus the dimples will certainly collect and fill with dust over time.

Hopefully there will be other comments and suggestions. Especially from other posters familar with the PSU.

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
System specs?

PSU wattage?

Video: Three immediate impressions:

1) Fan appears to be "slow". Not really sure but the fan does not seem to be up to speed. Could be the video.

2) Some PSU case screws appear to be torx head - replaceable fan? PSU's are generally not made to be repairable.

3) Dimpled fan blades? I am not aware of any advantages there. Likely creating more turbulence and thus noise. Resonates more when in the case.

Plus the dimples will certainly collect and fill with dust over time.

Hopefully there will be other comments and suggestions. Especially from other posters familar with the PSU.
Here’s my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CfHsGL

The PSU wattage is 850W.

1. I’ll definitely ask Super Flower about that then and ask why it’s slower than it should be.

2. That’s interesting. I’ve always heard that I shouldn’t mess with the power supply, so I wonder why that is.

3. I see, so this dimpled design is just disadvantageous. The first Leadex I returned didn’t have this sound, so I’m not sure why it’s happening to this one.

A new sound also started recently. You may need headphones to hear it: https://youtube.com/shorts/73KmVPS2JrA?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/bgJFhAT70-g?feature=share

I need my PC until March 11th. Do you think it’s safe to use this PSU until then? I used a PSU tester which says everything is fine. I don’t know anymore though…

Ralston18

Titan
What PSU tester? One of those plug in devices to show voltages - correct?

PSU's are not made to be repairable. Capacitors can hold a charge and cause a shock even if the PSU is unplugged.

Components are soldered in, not readily identifiable as to exact specs needed for replacement, and often there are edges, or raw surfaces that can poke, cut, and scrape. Not worth the effort and likely poor results overall.

Going back a bit:

"I'm a bit worried I broke something since my PSU slid off my desk while my cables were plugged in. "

The PSU case or some internal component may have been bent or otherwise knocked out of place by the fall.

No immediate problems but after a few thermal cycles, vibrations, etc.. the problem worsened and the noise level increased.

And with the new sound things could be continuing to degrade.

May have something to do with the fan housing or the fan blades themselves.

If the noise is the only problem then all might be well.

However, any temperature increases, burning smells, sparks, or even more noise could end badly.

I would avoid use the PC if at all possible and certainly would not leave PC running unattended.

And probably unplug it as well.

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
What PSU tester? One of those plug in devices to show voltages - correct?

PSU's are not made to be repairable. Capacitors can hold a charge and cause a shock even if the PSU is unplugged.

Components are soldered in, not readily identifiable as to exact specs needed for replacement, and often there are edges, or raw surfaces that can poke, cut, and scrape. Not worth the effort and likely poor results overall.

Going back a bit:

"I'm a bit worried I broke something since my PSU slid off my desk while my cables were plugged in. "

The PSU case or some internal component may have been bent or otherwise knocked out of place by the fall.

No immediate problems but after a few thermal cycles, vibrations, etc.. the problem worsened and the noise level increased.

And with the new sound things could be continuing to degrade.

May have something to do with the fan housing or the fan blades themselves.

If the noise is the only problem then all might be well.

However, any temperature increases, burning smells, sparks, or even more noise could end badly.

I would avoid use the PC if at all possible and certainly would not leave PC running unattended.

And probably unplug it as well.

Yes, I used one of the plug in devices. This is the one I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-...ctronics&sprefix=psu+t,electronics,168&sr=1-3

Is this a reliable indicator of whether my PSU is safe to use, or is this inaccurate?

And I see, I wonder why the torx screws are replaceable then. And I see, that makes sense. I did notice the noise problems immediately, but then the sound got worse. I've noticed temperature increases for just the 7600, but it seems Zen 4 CPUs normally try to be just below 95 degrees Celsius anyway; so that's unrelated to the PSU. I certainly havent't noticed any burning smells or sparks. I will definitely avoid using it though in case the PSU ends up degrading even more. Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS