[SOLVED] Weird PSU clicking sound

May 19, 2021
I am getting this weird noise from my power supply moments after powering up my PC.

This clicking noise disappears when I start gaming but as soon as I quit whatever game I am playing it starts making the same noise again.
Video:
View: https://youtu.be/-T8FSMLuVhc

PSU is Corsair AX (1000W)

Other relevant specs:
CPU: Intel Core 9900K
GPU: 3090 FE
MOBO: MSI gaming m7

Last edited:
Solution
it could be coming from the fan but I am unable to understand how come it starts up at random intervals and completely disappears when gaming

It's the fan. It stops when you start gaming because the PSU gets hotter and the fan spins faster. The centrifugal force of the higher RPM fan makes the noise go away.

Also, that doesn't look like a Corsair AX1000, or any Corsair PSU for that matter, at all. I think you have your PSUs confused.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
I know you said it's not the fan but to me, it sounded exactly like something hitting the fan.

Does the sound vary or change when you try to tip your PC case to any direction?

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
it could be coming from the fan but I am unable to understand how come it starts up at random intervals and completely disappears when gaming
Not familiar with this PSU but the fan probably change its speed depending on temperature or electrical load.

When you play a game, the PSU needs to supply more power and hence, generate more heat. That in turn causes the fan to spin faster.

Use something long and non-conductive and use it to stop the fan for a couple of seconds and see if the noise disappears. This shouldn't cause any harm to your PSU or PC. This procedure will tell you if it is indeed the fan that is the culprit.

May 19, 2021
Update: here’s what I tried so far

i tried changing the PSU AC cable but nothing happened

I noticed while this clicking sound happens, LED strips that I have installed using the same power source also start dimming (not noticeable). I unplugged them off but the sound still continued.

I will do the following once I get back from work:

relocate my PC elsewhere and see if the sound persists

open up my case and check cables/wiring and also see if anything is obstructing PSU fan (I don’t think this is likely as it sounds like an electric problem to me but it’s worth the try)

It's the fan. It stops when you start gaming because the PSU gets hotter and the fan spins faster. The centrifugal force of the higher RPM fan makes the noise go away.

Also, that doesn't look like a Corsair AX1000, or any Corsair PSU for that matter, at all. I think you have your PSUs confused.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've never heard of any electrical sound that sounds even remotely like that. It's almost certainly a fan if it's coming from the PSU.

Definitely check on what the PSU actually is; correct information is important. Even if JG wasn't around -- and there's nobody who is going to recognize a Corsair PSU on sight as well as him -- Corsair only has a couple RGB PSUs and even seeing very little in your video, they're missing the RGB button they have on the back.

I've never heard of any electrical sound that sounds even remotely like that. It's almost certainly a fan if it's coming from the PSU.

Definitely check on what the PSU actually is; correct information is important. Even if JG wasn't around -- and there's nobody who is going to recognize a Corsair PSU on sight as well as him -- Corsair only has a couple RGB PSUs and even seeing very little in your video, they're missing the RGB button they have on the back.

Found it.

It's actually a Thermaltake iRGB PLUS: https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-...1000f3fdga-1/p/N82E16817153398?quicklink=true

It uses a <Mod Edit> Hong Shen fan, so I'm not surprised it's making noises.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Not familiar with this PSU but the fan probably change its speed depending on temperature or electrical load.

When you play a game, the PSU needs to supply more power and hence, generate more heat. That in turn causes the fan to spin faster.

Use something long and non-conductive and use it to stop the fan for a couple of seconds and see if the noise disappears. This shouldn't cause any harm to your PSU or PC. This procedure will tell you if it is indeed the fan that is the culprit.
That makes sense, good tactic.

TRENDING THREADS