Question Weird PSU noise

Feb 1, 2020
I just finished building my first PC and after a few hiccups with a dead fan hub and drivers being weird everything is stable and running nicely. Thing is when I turn off my PC for the night everything seems normal, but when I wake up in the morning there is a really high frequency noise that seems to be coming from the PSU. It doesn’t happen right away, I’ve only ever noticed it waking up in the morning. It’s not that quiet either, I can hear it from the other side of my room. It goes away when I flick the PSU switch off then on again. Is ther anything I can do to ensure that it is actually the PSU that is making the noise and not something else before returning it?
PSU is a 550W seasonic S12III.
Rest of the build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F2yZ9G

Last edited:

alceryes

Distinguished
Sounds like you're describing coil whine. Unplug all speakers to make sure it's not interference and run something that stresses all your components (a new AAA game, for example) and see if the whine comes in, gets louder, or changes pitch.

Feb 1, 2020
Sounds like you're describing coil whine. Unplug all speakers to make sure it's not interference and run something that stresses all your components (a new AAA game, for example) and see if the whine comes in, gets louder, or changes pitch.
It doesn’t make any noise under load, I haven’t torture tested it on a synthetic benchmark yet but it made no whining noise playing f1 2018 on ultra. The only time is after it’s been shut down for a few hours.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS