KevinFD9

Prominent
Jan 31, 2021
CPU : Ryzen 3100
GPU : MSI GTX 1660 Super
Motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
RAM : 16GB 3600 (2x8GB )
PSU : Corsair TX650M Gold

So, I recently built my PC and started to notice there's a weird zapping/arcing like noise coming from the power supply. It doesn't seem like to increase or decrease under load or when idling and sometimes it gets louder or quieter without any apparent cause. PC continues to work flawlessly and doesn't seem to be affected by it. It only starts to make this noise at random times and sometimes it goes away on it's own or It will keep making the noise until I turn the power off at the wall. Should I be concerned about this?

Thank you.

View: View: https://soundcloud.com/user-425043282/psu-noise

Solution
Really sounds like something ARCing. (sound is not at any certain interval) I was thinking it might be over-voltage protection kicking in (or having faulty detection) but the more I listen to it the more it sounds like an ARC. When you move the PSU out of the case the temp of the PSU would drop, this could be a case of a bad connection that causes ARC'ing when it heats up? Not worth the risk, replace the PSU. That model has a seven (7) year warranty, you should be able to contact Corsair and get it replaced.
Rule out the power cord as well.
Is the sound coming from the back of the psu where the cord plugs into it. Does it feel firm and secure? If not, the contacts may not be making a good connection causing arcing. If you have a spare cord, try it. Typically monitor cords are the same style and rating as the psu cord.

Reactions: KevinFD9
CPU : Ryzen 3100
GPU : MSI GTX 1660 Super
Motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
RAM : 16GB 3600 (2x8GB )
PSU : Corsair TX650M Gold

So, I recently built my PC and started to notice there's a weird zapping/arcing like noise coming from the power supply. It doesn't seem like to increase or decrease under load or when idling and sometimes it gets louder or quieter without any apparent cause. PC continues to work flawlessly and doesn't seem to be affected by it. It only starts to make this noise at random times and sometimes it goes away on it's own or It will keep making the noise until I turn the power off at the wall. Should I be concerned about this?

Thank you.

View: View: https://soundcloud.com/user-425043282/psu-noise

Check your power cord. Also make sure the noise doesn't correspond with the fan spinning.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Is the sound coming from the back of the psu where the cord plugs into it. Does it feel firm and secure? If not, the contacts may not be making a good connection causing arcing. If you have a spare cord, try it. Typically monitor cords are the same style and rating as the psu cord.
This is a good problem solving tactic, especially if it involves the power cord.

KevinFD9

Prominent
Jan 31, 2021
Check your power cord. Also make sure the noise doesn't correspond with the fan spinning.
This is a good problem solving tactic, especially if it involves the power cord.

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, the cable is firmly seated. And I think it's not coming from the fan since it keeps making this noise even after shutting down the PC. The thing is it only starts to make this noise very rarely. It started to happen again on yesterday after weeks. So, I removed the PSU from the casing and kept the PC running for hours with everything plugged in. There was no noise. So, I put it back in the case and it's still running without any noise. Could this be an issue of grounding or electricity in my house?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, the cable is firmly seated. And I think it's not coming from the fan since it keeps making this noise even after shutting down the PC. The thing is it only starts to make this noise very rarely. It started to happen again on yesterday after weeks. So, I removed the PSU from the casing and kept the PC running for hours with everything plugged in. There was no noise. So, I put it back in the case and it's still running without any noise. Could this be an issue of grounding or electricity in my house?

Yes.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Really sounds like something ARCing. (sound is not at any certain interval) I was thinking it might be over-voltage protection kicking in (or having faulty detection) but the more I listen to it the more it sounds like an ARC. When you move the PSU out of the case the temp of the PSU would drop, this could be a case of a bad connection that causes ARC'ing when it heats up? Not worth the risk, replace the PSU. That model has a seven (7) year warranty, you should be able to contact Corsair and get it replaced.

Solution