Weird Question: Can I both control and connect to my laptop via my desktop?

rockthedesigner

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
So basically what I am wondering, is if there is a way to connect my laptop to my desktop via, I dunno lightning or firewire, ect, and somehow use it as though it were an additional monitor, yet still its own separate computing entity?

I am envisioning a scenario where you might would control both computers with one mouse and one keyboard, and be able to simply drag files and apps from a desktop screen strait over onto the laptop screen.

Is this a hairbrained idea or could something like this actually work? I just got done building a new desktop and I'm feeling brave.

Thanks for any input anybody decides to give. I'm just more curious than anything.

SixCoreFiend

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Absolutely this is possible with the built in function of Windows 7 Professional or above called "Remote Desktop Connection". Remote Desktop Connection allows you to remotely view and control another computer over your network. So, the laptop could actually be elsewhere in your house even and you can gain control of it. Remote Desktop Connection also supports file sharing between drives/devices.

The limiting factor to this setup is typically functional network bandwidth. Depending on your routers speeds and capabilities, as well as your computers networking speeds, this solution may not create a smooth user experience. I do it at home often (mainly between my big rig and my HTPC), but all of my devices either have Wireless AC or Gigabit wired connections to the network.

If your network is good enough and your running a version of Windows that supports this however, this can work exactly how you've described. You can have one computers user interface opened in a scaleable window, and can drag and drop files between them. If you don't have a version of Windows that supports this, there are many third party remote desktop applications you could try (however I don't have much first hand experience with any of them).

rockthedesigner

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah I just tried that it didn't really work. Maybe cause I have dual monitors. I want something that will allow my laptop to act as a third monitor, but with its own separate computing capabilities. kinda like two OSs in one...