Question Weird real life results after mild OC on FX-4100

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
The kid wants to play Apex Legends, requires an FX-4350 @ 4.2. I got a free FX-4100, and it works, but FPS can drop. Using Gigabytes old bios, I found some tutorials online, changed all the settings as they said, added .050 volts and turned the chip up from 3.6 to 4.0. I ran realbench for a bit, got 4028mhz @ 54 degrees @ 1.376V. Good enough for now, but I think I'd like a little more cooler before I go for 4.2

Last night, I ran CPUID while she was actually playing the game. I got 57 degrees on the package, 90 degrees on the cores (!). That's 90C. Is that even possible? Volts came up to 1.472 on the VCORE (that's the one I'm changing, yes?) which I'm ok with, and CPU clocks were all close to 4028, but scattered around a bit instead of all 4 being the same.

This is my first try at OCing an AMD chip, before this I've only messed around with a 2500k (success) and a 4790k (doesn't really need the OC) and I only got .2 out of it before my volts went way high, so I turned it down and gave up.

What am I missing here?

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Just tried this again, cores went to 225C, so that's like 450 degrees F, but nothing caught on fire, so that's weird. Package temp held at 55 today. Cores went to 4235mhz on all four but are still set to 4.0ish. Voltage held at 1.376 again. Chip is pulling 60 watts during every run.

The kid wants to play Apex Legends, requires an FX-4350 @ 4.2. I got a free FX-4100, and it works, but FPS can drop. Using Gigabytes old bios, I found some tutorials online, changed all the settings as they said, added .050 volts and turned the chip up from 3.6 to 4.0. I ran realbench for a bit, got 4028mhz @ 54 degrees @ 1.376V. Good enough for now, but I think I'd like a little more cooler before I go for 4.2

Last night, I ran CPUID while she was actually playing the game. I got 57 degrees on the package, 90 degrees on the cores (!). That's 90C. Is that even possible? Volts came up to 1.472 on the VCORE (that's the one I'm changing, yes?) which I'm ok with, and CPU clocks were all close to 4028, but scattered around a bit instead of all 4 being the same.

This is my first try at OCing an AMD chip, before this I've only messed around with a 2500k (success) and a 4790k (doesn't really need the OC) and I only got .2 out of it before my volts went way high, so I turned it down and gave up.

What am I missing here?
CPUID is giving you all wrong readings, it was never good with AMD platform and still isn't,
Temperature limits for FX processors are 90c package and 60c core. Use AMD Overdrive instead. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Ok, got some different results after a couple games of Apex. All 4 cores maxed at 47.5C. Max volts 1.38, average of 1.366. I don't know what the zero, one and two temps are, but they're max at 36, 54, 58. With CPUID i had one fan spinning at 625,000 RPM, now it's spinning 3557, which seems fast, but closer to reality.

If these numbers are all real, then I wasted 22 bucks on an aftermarket cooler.

Am I safe to bump to 4.2 with the .050 volt increase I've already got? Throw in another .025 if it's not acting right?

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Here's another weird thing. The temp of the chip never reduces, only goes up. The 47.5 degrees was after maybe 10 minutes on Apex. 15 minutes on realbench ran the chip up to 48 degrees from 17. After I turned real bench off the chip has continued to climb (showing 2% usage) and just broke 50 degrees after 10 minutes of idling. It's just sitting here, getting hotter. The fan is spinning, the heat sink is pretty warm.

Edit: Get's even weirder! I started up Apex again, and the temp of the chip immediately dropped to 39 degrees.

Edit 2: This has to be a fan thing. Apex ran nice and cool, as soon as I let the CPU idle, temps started climbing again. Maybe I turned the fan to crap mode in the BIOS on accident?

Last edited:
Here's another weird thing. The temp of the chip never reduces, only goes up. The 47.5 degrees was after maybe 10 minutes on Apex. 15 minutes on realbench ran the chip up to 48 degrees from 17. After I turned real bench off the chip has continued to climb (showing 2% usage) and just broke 50 degrees after 10 minutes of idling. It's just sitting here, getting hotter. The fan is spinning, the heat sink is pretty warm.

Edit: Get's even weirder! I started up Apex again, and the temp of the chip immediately dropped to 39 degrees.

Edit 2: This has to be a fan thing. Apex ran nice and cool, as soon as I let the CPU idle, temps started climbing again. Maybe I turned the fan to crap mode in the BIOS on accident?
Did you use AMD Overdrive ? It counts core temp down from 60c as it shows margin to max core temp of 60c.
If you suspect fan is the problem, check your BIOS and see if temp to rpm curve is adjustable. Should be set from minimum rpm at 30c to max. at about 50-55c.
You can also set CPU_Fan to maximum and try like that. it will be hellishly noisy but will give you an idea of what's going on.
BTW, Is that OEM cooler ?

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Wait. So instead of showing the CPU temp, it shows the max allowable CPU temp minus the actual temp to display how much room you've got left before you're in trouble? So when I see it idling at 60, it's really telling me that it's about 11? Well, 11 can't be right, it's 24 in my house, but is that what's going on here? That's the most unintuitive thing I've heard all week.

Yes, stock cooler. I've got a little Gammaxx on the way

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I got my little Gammaxx cooler and slapped it on last night, turned the clock up to 4.3, left the volts at .050 high and then let the game decide video settings, which were way too high. I toned shadows and sunshine back to maintain 60-70 fps during some action, and I'm showing 30 degrees of thermal margin, normal fan speeds and average voltage went up .005 (can't remember the value), 1.38 max. I'll probably work it up to 4.5 and call it a day if everything stays normal. Thanks for your help