Question Weird rebooting issue followed by a drop in performance in most games

Mazen146

Reputable
Apr 16, 2020
Yesterday, I turned on my PC, and it initially worked fine. However, after a few minutes, the screen went black, and the system rebooted on its own. This happened four times over the next hour. Between these crashes, the PC lagged noticeably, and even things like YouTube videos would keep stuttering. After the fourth reboot, I decided to turn it off and try again later. Fortunately, when I tried it again that night, the rebooting issue didn't recur. and the PC worked normally. However, I noticed a significant drop in system performance, particularly in games. For instance, in Elden Ring, where I previously had a stable 60 FPS, the frame rate now doesn't go above 40, and it's the same in other demanding games like Resident Evil 4 and God of War.

I started monitoring my system using MSI Afterburner while playing. My GPU temperature sits around 60-65°C in demanding games, while the CPU temperature is around 70-80°C. RAM utilization varies depending on the game but usually ranges from 10-14 GB. I tried updating my drivers, updating Windows, and confirming my settings weren't reset, among other troubleshooting steps, but nothing helped.

My specs are:
  • GPU: RTX 3050
  • CPU: i3-9100F
  • Ram: 2x8GB running at 2400 mhz
  • PSU: XPG Core Reactor 650W Gold
  • Mobo: Gigabyte H310M S2H
Thanks, in advance!

Mazen146

Reputable
Apr 16, 2020
PSU: XPG Core Reactor 650W Gold
How old is this unit?

You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built unit with 650W of power at the entire system's disposal and see if the issue persists.
I bought it around 4 years ago, and I never faced any issues with it

So you think the PSU is the most likely culprit? Borrowing a reliable unit might be challenging but I could try asking around