Question Weird rendering or am i becoming old?

Jul 18, 2019
Hi there all!

So i have this problem for the last year or so, and it has been really bothering me. I experience it as some rendering fault.
What i see when an object comes too close to the camera it becomes see through and renders in a checkered way. Ill include a screenshot.

View: https://imgur.com/oMrlM7I

The problem i mention is what you can see in the sails of the boat.
Now i have upgraded my hardware the last months and it was the same on my old hardware. Im currently running:

Ryzen 2700X No OC
Asus PRIME X470-Pro
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200MHZ
Asus Strix RTX 2070
Corsair 700 Watt PSU
Corsair MP300 m2 SSD 240GB
2x Kingston 480GB SSD
1TB HDD
Coolermaster ML240RGB Watercooler with standard fans swapped for Noctua Fans.
Windows 10 Home
Samsung C27FG7x Monitor connected with Displayport cable from Club3d.

Now i tried several monitors, differect GPU's, clean installs

Maybe i am just going senile, or is there a setting causing this? I experience this in pretty much every game where the camera comes too close and it starts see through rendering.

I hope this message i ok for the forum, this is the first time i actually posted on a forum believe it or not.

Thanks for reading, and i hope someone can help me with this problem.

Rd

The sails in AC Origins and Odyssey are supposed to become very opaque like that merely so you can more easily see where you're going. It's not unlike many games which make your character become opaque when near walls so as not to block the camera view. Also the texture of the sail being like that is I'm sure just to keep it looking like a woven fabric.

It's nothing to worry about, completely normal. It's definitely not old eyes syndrome or senility. LOL

I'm picturing an old fart grandpa, grey haired with glasses, shouting "Damn sails!" every time he hops in a boat. Joking of course, I happen to be 61 myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyalDeath
Jul 18, 2019
Well at first i thought it was Ubi games, but then i started seeing it in the grass and trees of The Witcher 3, Textures in Borderlands 2, Farcry 5, Rage 2, World of Warcraft, The Division 2, Total War games.

That's a lot of different engines, and it happens as soon as something becomes see through or gets rendered.

As for the screaming at the sails part, i am mostly screaming at random NPCs walking in front of my horse while i am travelling around. I mean you see a capable man on an armored horse galloping with quite some speed towards you. And the first thing that pops into your damn mind is "This would be an excellent time to pluck some flowers in the middle of this busy road!"

I am 34, but quite forgetful. Which is one of the signs to early senility. :ROFLMAO:

Jul 18, 2019
But to get more on topic, look at the screenshot. In the middle of the sales underneath the compass. There are a massive amount of squares all connected together. This is what driving me insane since i see this "glitch" spanning over multiple games.

blizzeron

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Try different anti-aliasing settings. I've found some of them do weird things to transparency effects. Examples of anti-aliasing settings are FXAA, MSAA, SSAA, etc. See if changing your anti-aliasing settings helps, if you haven't tried that yet.

Edit: It would also be worth turning off AA entirely, and seeing how you feel about the resulting graphics. Turning off AA is a huge performance boost, and at higher resolutions (2560x1440, or 3840x2160), AA is hardly beneficial.

Last edited:
But to get more on topic, look at the screenshot. In the middle of the sales underneath the compass. There are a massive amount of squares all connected together. This is what driving me insane since i see this "glitch" spanning over multiple games.
The effect you're referring to looks the same to me across the entire sail. The only thing that looks different in the area you're talking about is the sail fabric is rippling to show the effect of the wind on it.

Also, for me to assess whether there's any problems with other games I'd have to see screenshots of them, but based on what I'm seeing here, there's zero reason to believe there's a problem.

TRENDING THREADS