Weird restart problem

logicsync

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Hi Guys,
This problem has been "Coitusing" with me since a month now so I thought better to get over with it. This started happening since I have installed a new Graphics card (MSI 6850 OC, http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R6850-PM2D1GD5-OC.html ) in my 3 year old PC.

Since the installation, my PC restarts once after a cold boot up and works perfectly after that. What happens is I switch my PC On, it goes through the normal boot, works fine for about 8 - 10 minutes and then suddenly restarts. After the restart it however works perfectly even if I play videos or play games(NFS, CoD) for hours. I did a little "debugging" myself and have found that the PC restarts even if:

1) I boot up normally
2) I boot up in the safe mode
3) I stay at the enter password screen after boot up in normal mode
4) I stay at the enter password screen after boot up in safe mode
5) I press DEL to enter BIOS setup mode and stay there.

After the initial cold boot, if I am watching a video like on VLC or youtube, I notice that the screen goes blank(black) first and the audio continues to come out from my head phones for about 2 - 3 seconds even after that. After that either I start get a shattering sound(youtube) or total silence(VLC). Also I have the feeling that the system does not reboot immediately after the crash as the PC Case lights continue to glow and shattering sound keeps on coming for a few minutes after which they turn off and then the PC is restarted. The reboot however takes more than normal time to finish.

One thing to note here is that most of the times I get a normal blank screen after a restart but rarely I get a screen with blue - black stripes or a white screen(very rare). Also rarely I can hear the GPU's fan rotating at full speed after the restart. However every thing is normal after a restart.

I have made some assumptions based on my observations:
1) Can't be an Overheating Issue - As I can play games for hours on end after reboot.
2) Can't be driver issue - As restart occurs irrespective of normal mode / safe mode / bios setup mode.

I have all the latest drivers and my specs are:
Intel E6750 2.66 Ghz
Intel DG33FB
3 GB 667 @ 512*2, 1024*2
MSI 6850 factory overclocked (MSI R6850-PM2D1GD5-OC)
19" ASUS monitor
PSU - non-branded chinese wonder (Came with the Box) - 22 Amp max

I don't have anything overclocked in my PC and my PC worked flawlessly before installing this card.

I am of the opinion that most probably I need a new PSU but since i am a poor fella, I wish to confirm from the gurus here first before buying one :) . Thanks for reading.

Solution
What PSU/wattage do you have? If the card is factory-OC'ed, probably it's firmware is setup so it resets to lower clocks if it does not get enough power. The guys at MSI support should be able to explain that better, since it's their hardware.
I would try to borrow a better PSU from someone and see if it happens again.

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
I did some research and apparently this AMD card have some issues with the voltage controller. It seems that it gives a wrong volt signal and after you restart it corrects it. If you can, try swithcing the GPU with another. Your PSU might be faulty too, but since it works fine after a restart then the PSU might be fine. If the PSU is faulty then it will reboot (or not work at all) at random.

Check those two components.

What PSU/wattage do you have? If the card is factory-OC'ed, probably it's firmware is setup so it resets to lower clocks if it does not get enough power. The guys at MSI support should be able to explain that better, since it's their hardware.
I would try to borrow a better PSU from someone and see if it happens again.

Solution
"PSU - non-branded chinese wonder (Came with the Box) - 22 Amp max "
there is your problem. if you know anything about computers you will know that cheap chinese branded psu's, expecially ones with only 22 amps which does not meet the requirements for your vieo card, will cause a problem.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Hey chinese wonder rules haha OJ, yeah for sure, so many people ask why they are having issues and it always goes back to their cheapo chinese psu made from nothing more than a recycled tin can and some cheap AA batteries. Then they wonder why their nice and expensive mobo has blown up.

Get a decent branded one such as corsair etc. Rock solid reliability.

I would look at a 500w corsair PSU for your specs

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-034-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

or CM 550W

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-201-CM&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
I had a brand new Corsair that died in just 2 weeks. I live in Japan so I had to get an emergency PSU. A brand that I dont recognize but apparently is good. "Energia" 800w, 60A. Its kicking ass... More than what Corsair ever did. Dont worry bout the brand, but make sure that it meets your card needs. If after the restar you can play for hours like you said with no problems then is not the PSU. Check your card first.

I do agree about getting a better PSU though.

so you hate corsair because you had 1 faulty psu? Every single manufacturer will have a few faulty power supplies. Who knows, it may have died because you had a voltage spike from the mains, or you used an underpowered psu for your system, or a cockroach ran in there and shorted it out.

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
I dont hate corsair, I might just had bad luck with a faulty unit. Corsair makes exellent products. I would consider another Corsair PSU in the future and I still recommend them too. However, if you recommend it to someone else and you read fantastic reviews about it, then your expectations are going to be so high that when you get a DOA unit you will be very dissapointed. Because of my experience I now recommend people to be sure that the PSU will exceed all component requirement volts and future proof too.

All Im saying is that dont get a power supply that will only sufice your current hardware. If on a budget, then sacrifice on something else but the PSU.

logicsync

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Reply from MSI:

Dear sir/madam

Thanks for contacting MSI technical support.

Regarding your concern,please change another more powerful power supply for a try.If the problem still persists,please change another RAM with different brand to try.In addition,would you please select a compatible power supply refer to the Power Supply Calculator on MSI website?

Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Best Regards,
MSI Technical Support Team

Yep, as I said, try with a borrowed PSU if available, if not, get a better one; brand name not as important as power redundancy, I myself pick my PSUs by estimating the power needs and adding about 20% on top of that. It doesn't mean you burn more power, but you have an extra margin in case you upgrade later on.

logicsync

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Well here is an update. I purchased this PSU and still reboot problem occurs. What now?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-201-CM&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

At this point, since you have already replaced the PSU, you have a more valid argument towards RMA'ing the MSI card. Factory OC means OC, and even with their QC, MSI can not guarantee stability or longevity of their product. The only way they can own up their claim is to replace the card at no cost to you. Even default clocked cards can have faulty parts, and OCing it only shines the light on the weaker components.
I would contact them again(MSI) and see if they would replace the card at this point. Or, you could just return it and get a default clocked one.