[SOLVED] Weird rhythmic noise coming from pc

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
Since a couple of days now there is a weird ryhthmic sound coming out of my pc. It makes the sound for a couple of seconds, disappears and comes back a couple of seconds later. It drives me crazy. There will be a recording for you to listen to

Components:
cpu Ryzen 5 1800x
Ram 16gb 3200 g skill
Gpu rx 480
Pcu be quiet 600 watt
Motherboard dont really now anymore but bought it 2 years ago, its an asus motherboard
Ssd 500gb samsung evo

Audio:
https://voca.ro/17LiMcCnJf2J
In this audio I am referring to the first 8 seconds. The clicking is me turning up the volume, which is my bad. Its that "du du du du" kinda sound that you hear in the first 8 seconds. You can hear it pretty well in the first second before this rubbing and clicking starts which is just my hands being on the phone and turning up the volume

Last edited:
Solution
Opening the case may also disrupt the vibrations and airflows to the point where resonance (if that is indeed what is happening) is no longer possible. Classic "Catch 22".

[Reference for those who may not be familiar with the phrase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_(logic) ]

Agree: locating the source of the noise is important but the noise may not be directly attributable to one component or another.

Try methodically disconnecting one fan at a time, close the case up, and listen again. You may be able to associate the noise with the presence or absence of one particular fan.

Tedious but if you take the time and are careful you may discover some configuration change that allow you to "control" the noise at will...

Lutfij

Titan
Are you referring to the clicks at the front of the audio clip? I'm assuming the swishing sound is your hands rubbing past the mic?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

On a side note, use an A4 sheet of paper and roll it up into a tube. Hold one end of the tube to your ear and then use the other end to probe for the source of the sound. I'm suspecting the noise to come from a fan.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How many fans are installed?

Likely resonance or sympathetic vibration.

Power down, open the case.

Ensure that all fans are snugly secured in place. Do not over tighten.

Disconnect fans one at a time - determine if one particular fan or another is involved with the rhythmic pattern.

Hopefully just a bit of tightening or even loosening a fan screw or two will be enough to end the resonance.

Reactions: falcon291

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
Are you referring to the clicks at the front of the audio clip? I'm assuming the swishing sound is your hands rubbing past the mic?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

On a side note, use an A4 sheet of paper and roll it up into a tube. Hold one end of the tube to your ear and then use the other end to probe for the source of the sound. I'm suspecting the noise to come from a fan.
I updated my post

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How many fans are installed?

Likely resonance or sympathetic vibration.

Power down, open the case.

Ensure that all fans are snugly secured in place. Do not over tighten.

Disconnect fans one at a time - determine if one particular fan or another is involved with the rhythmic pattern.

Hopefully just a bit of tightening or even loosening a fan screw or two will be enough to end the resonance.
Updated it

Ralston18

Titan
Opening the case may also disrupt the vibrations and airflows to the point where resonance (if that is indeed what is happening) is no longer possible. Classic "Catch 22".

[Reference for those who may not be familiar with the phrase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_(logic) ]

Agree: locating the source of the noise is important but the noise may not be directly attributable to one component or another.

Try methodically disconnecting one fan at a time, close the case up, and listen again. You may be able to associate the noise with the presence or absence of one particular fan.

Tedious but if you take the time and are careful you may discover some configuration change that allow you to "control" the noise at will.

Once the source cause is determined then a fix may be apparent. Again, it could be just a matter of tightening or even loosening a screw or two. Maybe a small rubber washer some where.

One thought: try swapping fans around if possible. Or borrow a fan or two to swap in.

In any case, change only one thing at a time and keep notes accordingly.

Solution