weird router behavior

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
The simplified topology of my network is like this:

ADSL modem ===>router 1===(wirelessly)===>router 2

Router 1 and 2 are connected in bridge mode.

Both a desktop and a cell phone can connect to router 2 wirelessly with no problems. However, if I use an Ethernet cable to connect the desktop to router 2 and remove the wireless adapter from the desktop, the desktop immediately loses Internet connection. The router 2 also loses its Internet connection as the cell phone has no more Internet access.

Not only that. Router 1 also loses its Internet connection as the cell phone loses its Internet connection when it is brought to sit right next to router 1.

At this point, I have to turn off the modem and router 1 for a minute then restart them to get Internet connection back. When this is done, route r2 also gets Internet connection back.

How can router 2 make router 1 lose its Internet connection?

desktop: no brand, OS: windows 10
router 1: TP-LINK TL-WR940N
router 2: TP-LINK TL-WR941ND
ADSL modem: Aztech DSL705EU
wireless adapter: TP-LINK TL-WN7200ND

Solution
I may have found the culprit.

I have a laptop which uses 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server while all other computers use the default 192.168.1.1. as the DNS server address. This has been running for months without problems as long as nothing is connected to the bridge router (router 2) via an Ethernet cable. As soon as a PC is connected to the bridge router using an Ethernet cable, the router stops working.

Once I changed the laptop DNS server to 192.168.1.1, I was able to connect to the router using an Ethernet cable.

Hope this will someone.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
That I do not know. But may I ask why don´t you connect the routers via cable or use a power line adapter instead?
There must be a software workaround. I used a signal repeater myself but lost connection when walking from one router to the other with my phone.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014

They are on different floor. I'm working on a plan to drill holes to run a cable from one router to another. This will take some time.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I may have found the culprit.

I have a laptop which uses 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server while all other computers use the default 192.168.1.1. as the DNS server address. This has been running for months without problems as long as nothing is connected to the bridge router (router 2) via an Ethernet cable. As soon as a PC is connected to the bridge router using an Ethernet cable, the router stops working.

Once I changed the laptop DNS server to 192.168.1.1, I was able to connect to the router using an Ethernet cable.

Hope this will someone.

Solution