Weird router issue: ipv6 problem??

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Bought a new Linksys WRT1200AC router, and encountered an EXTREMELY weird problem where I can NOT get to some web sites!

I can get to Google, Yahoo, Facebook

I can NOT get to Linksys, Amazon, Speedtest, Frys

The Linksys has Ping and Trace Route capability: pinging Amazon would give times>80mS, and NEVER 100%, missing from 1 to 4 packets. Trace Route would take 30 seconds to complete, with maybe 15 entries.

Note that this was over a two day period. When I put my old router back in service, the weird problems went away. Old router is DLink28

The new Linksys uses ipv6 for my laptop, which I am guessing is part of the problem.

I've already ordered a different router, and will be returning the Linksys today, so issue is not critical, but I would like to know just wtf was going on

Those websites you couldn't access probably haven't adopted IPv6 yet, they're still using IPv4.

I only use IPv4 for internet access at the moment and can reach all those websites that you couldn't get with that Linksys router.

Evidently that router just needed a little adjustment to the settings in it's configuration utility, but it's weird it wasn't set up to use IPv4 by default if you bought it new. My Billion router was, as were the two Netgear routers I had before that, though granted that was some 5 or 6 years ago.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
in the Linksys Troubleshooting section of the router, it showed my laptop having both ipv4 and ipv6, which is what I would expect, since I expect ipv6 is not totally adopted in the www. But apparently it doesn't work that way

I would have expected Amazon and Steam to be ... updated to ipv6, but who knows