[SOLVED] Weird ryzen 5 2600 temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hey guys. So today I built my new pc and once I downloaded CPUID I noticed something. My ryzen 5 2600(stock cooler) is running at 51-52 degrees idle, but while gaming it never passes 70 degrees. Why is the idle temperature that high? I have a b450 tomahawk, don't know if that helps.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Check to see if the temps corroborate the same results in BIOS. Does the temps correspond that way when viewing on Ryzen master? Might also want to see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.
Yes Ryzen Master shows the same temperatures. How can I check if I'm on the latest BIOS update?
Edit: From bios the temperature is 45-46 degrees.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
With the temperature in the room at 30-33c and with your PC in a location that blocks air flow you can't expect much better CPU temperatures than you are getting.
I would move the PC so it gets better air flow, remove the side panel and point a fan at the motherboard.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
With the temperature in the room at 30-33c and with your PC in a location that blocks air flow you can't expect much better CPU temperatures than you are getting.
I would move the PC so it gets better air flow, remove the side panel and point a fan at the motherboard.
My case is the Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition. It has 3 fans pre-installed, so I don't think the airflow is the problem. The problem is where I have the case. I agree that in that space airflow is limited, but I'll not use the stock cooler for long, because I originally had a corsair h100i v2 and I'm waiting for the am4 bracket kit to arrive. Once I install the AIO, the temps will be fine. But I'll try to move my case somewhere else, because I don't like where it is right now. But the temps I'm getting with the stock cooler I think are perfectly fine, especially when gaming. I don't really care about idle temps, so I'll be ok until the bracket arrives.

Edit: I forgot to mention something. While installing the stock cooler I didn't apply any thermal paste to the cpu's surface, as the cooler had some pre-applied. Should I open it and apply some thermal paste or is it ok?

Last edited:

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I think the new Ryzen CPUs all run hot... My 3900X is running 48 degrees at idle and I have the CPU throttled to 99% which means no turbo boost is enabled. The PC now peaks at 75 degrees. I have the Corsair Obsidian 750D as well with three 140mm fans... Note that games usually only uses a couple of cores so the CPU won't get that hot. When I use Handbrake to encode, it uses all 12 cores and the temp soars to 96-100 degrees with the stock AMD Wraith Prism fan. I ordered a Corsair H115i RAD and will see if that helps. I might also opt for the BeQuiet Rock IV Pro air cooler and see how that performs.

As long as the cooler or CPU has TIM, it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.