Weird screen shut offs. Help!

Moritz_1

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Hey guys,
so I am having this really weird problem and I don't know what title I should have given it. So I have my old PC hooked up to a TV, via the ATI Radeon HD 6950 graphics card. This mainly happens during evenings and I don't have any problems during the day. The GPU is quite old and idles at aroung 58 degrees, running at 1 Volt (according to HWMonitor).
So usually I switch on the PC, put on a youtube video or something else and after a few minutes, the screen just goes dark. the PC stays on and the TV stays on, but the TV says there is no signal.

I have to force shut down the PC and upon turning it back on, everything works fine again, until it happens again a few minutes later.

I have no idea what this could possibly be. I have tried plugging the TV into the motherboard and changed the settings in the BIOS to use the integrated graphics, but it won't do that and still only works with the GPU.

What could this be???
I would really appreciate any help!

Solution
hello again if your power supply is bad it wont give any of your other pieces of hardware power either i dont know how old this computer is but ther power cable going from the power supply to the graphics card being bad to me is highly unlikely does this issue happen when connected to a computer monitor or just a tv?

Moritz_1

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I was considering it to be either the GPU or the power supply. The thing is that when I take out the graphics card, the screen loses signal immediately after i booted into the OS., So i doubt it is the graphics card and I don't want to buy multiple things if neither of them fixes the issue. Could it also be the power supply, because then I would swap that out???

psycrow395

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
hello again if your power supply is bad it wont give any of your other pieces of hardware power either i dont know how old this computer is but ther power cable going from the power supply to the graphics card being bad to me is highly unlikely does this issue happen when connected to a computer monitor or just a tv?

Solution